2 displaced after fire guts Albany duplex - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

2 displaced after fire guts Albany duplex

Posted: Updated:
ALBANY, GA - (WALB) -

Investigators say a fire at an East Albany duplex was caused by an unattended candle.

Smoke billowed from the duplex on South Washington Street in Albany around 11:45 Sunday night. Eugene Smith spotted flames in his living room, where he left a candle, being used as his only source of light.

"He stated to us that he had a candle burning in the front room, with there being no power on the house, and our investigation, that's what we determined it was," said Kelly Harcrow, AFD Battalion Chief.

Firefighters prevented the flames from spreading to a second unit, but smoke damage forced Smith's neighbor temporarily from his home. Smith's side was gutted, unlivable, but his spirits are still high.

"I'm proud, I'm proud to know I still got my life, that's all that matters," said Eugene Smith, resident.

It was a close call. Now, he has to figure out where he'll live. For the meantime, Red Cross has put up him and his neighbor.

No one was injured.

Copyright 2014 WALB. All rights reserved.