Albany man recovers from fire, 'could have been a catastrophe' - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Albany man recovers from fire, 'could have been a catastrophe'

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Breaking

    LIVE: Salmonella outbreak trial coverage from Albany, GA

    LIVE: Salmonella outbreak trial coverage from Albany, GA

    Friday, August 1 2014 12:50 PM EDT2014-08-01 16:50:57 GMT
    The federal courthouse in Albany, GAThe federal courthouse in Albany, GA
    The trial of three people charged in a deadly salmonella outbreak linked to a peanut plant in Georgia began Thursday.More >>
    The trial of three people charged in a deadly salmonella outbreak linked to a peanut plant in Georgia began Thursday.More >>
  • Big Bertha could not be saved

    Big Bertha could not be saved

    Friday, August 1 2014 12:49 PM EDT2014-08-01 16:49:52 GMT
    100 year old tree comes down100 year old tree comes down
    An Albany tree on North Van Buren could not be saved despite the desires of residents.More >>
    An Albany tree on North Van Buren could not be saved despite the desires of residents.More >>
  • Wiffle Ball Tournament set for Saturday

    Wiffle Ball Tournament set for Saturday

    Friday, August 1 2014 12:31 PM EDT2014-08-01 16:31:00 GMT
    Bobby's Backyard Wiffle Ball Tournament takes place Saturday August 2nd at the Crisp County Middle School baseball field at 10:00AM. There will be an 18 team tournament. Teams of 5 will battle it out for 5 innings. More >>
    Bobby's Backyard Wiffle Ball Tournament takes place Saturday August 2nd at the Crisp County Middle School baseball field at 10:00AM. There will be an 18 team tournament. Teams of 5 will battle it out for 5 innings. More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

An Albany man is recovering from smoke inhalation after escaping an early morning fire in his home.

The people who live in the home on University Drive credit their smoke detector with helping them escape.

Firefighters said it started around 8:15 a.m. when a stove caught fire sending smoke throughout the duplex. Two people sleeping inside woke up to the smoke detector and got out.

"[It was a] prime example today," said Albany Fire Dept. Deputy Chief Ron Rowe. "I had 2 occupants in a house. Had a fire. They themselves told us that the smoke detector woke them up. It could have been a catastrophe for them."

Officials said Roderick Almond, who suffers from asthma, was treated by paramedics at the scene.

Fire damage to the duplex was minor, but smoke damaged most of the home.

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.