An Albany man says it was a stranger who saved them after lighting hit their house and caught fire.
A lighting strike caused this huge hole in Gerald Haynes' bedroom. Haynes says he was downstairs on his computer when the lighting hit his home in the 1200 block of W Gordon Avenue.
"First I thought it was just the lightning and then I started to smell smoke and I walked upstairs and I didn't see anything," said Gerald Haynes.
Luckily a stranger called 9-1-1 and told Haynes that his home was on fire.
"Someone stopped in the middle of the road and ran and told me that the side of the house was on fire," said Haynes.
The fire started in the attic leaving burn marks in his son's room. The attic floor board landed on top of Haynes bed just below the attic.
"The board it fell actually fell down into the master bedroom," said Haynes.
Haynes says it took fire crews just a few minutes to put out the flames. Four people were inside at the time. Haynes says he and his family are safe thanks to the random stranger.
"If it wasn't for someone out there it could of been a lot worse," said Haynes.
The furniture and toys from his son's bedroom were moved to the living room. Haynes estimates there's about $2,000 worth of damage. He plans to contact his insurance company Monday.
Copyright 2014 WALB. All rights reserved.
A jury convicted a Crisp County man on two counts of child molestation Friday. The jury came back with a guilty verdict for Hermenegildo Virgil Friday.
The holiday season has arrived and Dougherty County leaders want people to be more safe than ever.
Saturday morning, a few extra paws joined runners at the Marine Corps Logistics Base in Albany. Racers and supporters alike showed their passion for supporting veterans this morning.
Troopers with the Georgia state patrol responded to a fatal crash in Coffee County around 7:30 p.m. Friday.
Three people are behind bars in the Dougherty County Jail for their part in a shooting at Albany State University.