Fire officials warn not to overload outlets - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire officials warn not to overload outlets

Posted: Updated:
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

A warning from fire officials about overloading your outlets inside your home.

A overloaded outlet caused one home to catch fire over the weekend along Whitney St.

The smoke started in the front room. Fire officials say its always important not to overload outlets because they're designed with two plugs for a reason

"Outlets have two plugs for a reason and a lot of times when you plug in too many appliances to those plugs it overheats the circuit itself the circuits are rated for 15 to 20 amps max," says Battalion Chief Keith Ambrose.

Damages from that fire are estimated to be about 75 thousand dollars.

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.