Firefighters investigate South Albany house fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Firefighters investigate South Albany house fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Major road project takes a step forward

    Major road project takes a step forward

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 12:02 AM EDT2014-04-23 04:02:45 GMT
    Lee County Commissioners are close to approving a route for a major road project that will connect the east and west parts of the county. Tuesday night, they heard from Georgia Tech engineers who studiedMore >>
    Lee County residents will soon have the chance to give their opinions on a major road project.More >>
  • City leaders approve new rules for model airplanes

    City leaders approve new rules for model airplanes

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 11:59 PM EDT2014-04-23 03:59:14 GMT
    Albany city commissioners approve new rules for model airplanes.      Following complaints from some people who live near Hilsman Park a citizen's advisory committee spent months studying the issue andMore >>
    Albany city commissioners approve new rules for model airplanes.      Following complaints from some people who live near Hilsman Park a citizen's advisory committee spent months studying the issue andMore >>
  • Voters hear from candidates at forum

    Voters hear from candidates at forum

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 11:56 PM EDT2014-04-23 03:56:54 GMT
    Voters heard from more than a dozen political candidates at a forum Tuesday night hosted by the Albany Civil Rights Institute. People running in Dougherty County Commission, Dougherty County School BoardMore >>
    Days before early voting opens, candidates for several races in Dougherty County get together to try earn voters' support.More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Firefighters are investigating what started a house fire in East Albany around noon Friday.

Officials said it happened in a home at 3339 Sweetbrier in South Albany.

Officials said two brothers and a medical caretaker were in the house at the time. One of the brothers heard a smoke detector ringing and found a bedroom on fire.

Authorities said the caretaker called 911 and helped get everyone out of the house.

Then one of the brothers grabbed a water hose and officials said he crawled back in the house through a window and began fighting the fire.

"I would not suggest anyone else try what I tried today. It's dangerous.  Hindsight I shouldn't have did it," said Michael Harper.

Harper was able to extinguish the flames, but said he knew it was not safe and the wrong thing to do in the situation.

Firefighters said a bed and some other items in the bedroom were burned, and the house sustained significant smoke damage.

 

 

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow