Fire breaks out in East Albany -, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

AFD saves home from destruction

Vernon Brown Vernon Brown
Battalion Chief Daniel Potter, AFD Battalion Chief Daniel Potter, AFD

The Albany Fire Department squelched a fire in northeast Albany on a rainy Wednesday morning before it could destroy a house. Units were sent to 1420 Westcliff Court, near Cromartie Beach just after 8:00AM.  

Overloaded extension cords sparked a space heater fire that spread to the home. Neighbors alerted Vernon Brown to get out of her Westcliff Court home.

"They said there was a fire in the back yard. And I couldn't think of why a fire would be in the backyard because it was raining," Brown said.

A camper parked directly behind the home lit up quickly, and it didn't take long for flames to spread to the Brown's house. "We just ran and the guys next door tried to help but they couldn't do anything with the water," she said.

"The material the camper is made of allowed it to be consumed rather quickly. It got the house warmed up and started in the attic," said Battalion Chief Daniel Potter, AFD. "We went in there from the unburned side to the burned side and pushed the fire back out."

A scary scene as power was cut to the camper sparks went flying. Turns out multiple extension cords plugged into a space heater sparked the fire. Meanwhile 30% of the house was destroyed.

For Brown, this comes at a terrible time. She just lost insurance on the home. "We're kind of in a hole right now. We're going to need all kinds of help from anyone who wants to help. My husband's on dialysis. And he was on dialysis at the time I had to call and break the news to him."

The Red Cross is assisting the Browns. And they're hoping for the kindness of others to help them during time when so much was lost.

The Red Cross will help the family.  If you would like to assist Vernon and Curtis Brown, contact 229-338-4388 or 229-343-0819.


Copyright 2014 WALB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly