Firefighters say light sparked East Albany fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Firefighters say light sparked East Albany fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Valdosta chamber gets new marker

    Valdosta chamber gets new marker

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 5:49 PM EDT2014-07-23 21:49:02 GMT
    The chamber unveiled the marker this morning, officially dedicating the magnolia tree at the chamber in honor of the chamber's first 100 presidents.More >>
    The chamber unveiled the marker this morning, officially dedicating the magnolia tree at the chamber in honor of the chamber's first 100 presidents.More >>
  • Americus residents want real recycling plan

    Americus residents want real recycling plan

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 5:47 PM EDT2014-07-23 21:47:42 GMT
    Americus residents found out a couple weeks ago that their curbside recycling was really going to the landfill. Now, residents are asking the city council to pass a new recycling plan that would cost 2 additional dollars. More >>
    Americus residents found out a couple weeks ago that their curbside recycling was really going to the landfill. Now, residents are asking the city council to pass a new recycling plan that would cost 2 additional dollars. More >>
  • Brooks County body identified

    Brooks County body identified

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 5:42 PM EDT2014-07-23 21:42:48 GMT
     On Wednesday, July 23, 2014, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation in Thomasville identified the body found on West Hill Street in Quitman on Tuesday as Curtis Lee Baynard, 29, of 905 West Hill Street, Quitman, GA.
    More >>
     On Wednesday, July 23, 2014, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation in Thomasville identified the body found on West Hill Street in Quitman on Tuesday as Curtis Lee Baynard, 29, of 905 West Hill Street, Quitman, GA.

    More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Firefighters say a light set clothes on fire and damaged an East Albany home Thursday.

Around 11:15 a.m. someone called 911 after seeing smoke coming from this home in the 800 block of Rood Street.  

Firefighters arrived and found a bedroom on fire. They say clothes were stacked near a light left on in a closet.

"[We] found the closet in the bedroom area, and the fire had spread into the attic of the structure," said Battalion Chief Daniel Potter. "We were able to quickly extinguish the fire."

No one was home at the time of the fire. The house was under renovation. Firefighters are still trying to determine who lives there.

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.