Firework found in backpack causes evacuation of Worth Co. High - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Firework found in backpack causes evacuation of Worth Co. High

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Worth Co. hosts open house

    Worth Co. hosts open house

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:24 PM EDT2014-07-29 03:24:37 GMT
    It's already back to school time for some south Georgia students. Classes start tomorrow in Worth County.On Monday afternoon, all the schools held open houses for parents and students.At Worth County elementary, families got to met the teachers and get acquainted with the school.The Principal says the staff is ready, and parents told us they appreciated the open house."We are just going to keep going strong with things that we have done in the past, we had a very successful school year last y...More >>
    It's already back to school time for some south Georgia students. Classes start tomorrow in Worth County.On Monday afternoon, all the schools held open houses for parents and students.At Worth County elementary, families got to met the teachers and get acquainted with the school.The Principal says the staff is ready, and parents told us they appreciated the open house."We are just going to keep going strong with things that we have done in the past, we had a very successful school year last y...More >>
  • Lee Co. Woman speaks out about scary home invasion

    Lee Co. Woman speaks out about scary home invasion

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:20 PM EDT2014-07-29 03:20:11 GMT
    A Lee County woman says she'll think twice before opening her front door after a frightening home invasion.Tonya Stewart says Friday night a group of young people rushed inside her home and beat her up.Her husband ran to help. In the meantime, her 2-year-old niece suffered a busted lip.Stewart ended up with bruises and a black eye.“I just felt like my house was in danger and my life was in danger. I felt like I was gonna be killed or someone in my house was gonna be killed. I had a little gir...More >>
    A Lee County woman says she'll think twice before opening her front door after a frightening home invasion.Tonya Stewart says Friday night a group of young people rushed inside her home and beat her up.Her husband ran to help. In the meantime, her 2-year-old niece suffered a busted lip.Stewart ended up with bruises and a black eye.“I just felt like my house was in danger and my life was in danger. I felt like I was gonna be killed or someone in my house was gonna be killed. I had a little gir...More >>
  • Football coaches stress hydration as South Georgia heats up

    Football coaches stress hydration as South Georgia heats up

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:12 PM EDT2014-07-29 03:12:23 GMT
    Football is an intense, and grueling collision sport, and when South Georgia heats up, practice is even more stressful on the body."We don't wanna lose a kid because of the fact they are not hydrating themselves," says Monroe Head Coach Charles Truitt.That's why coaches stress the importance of staying hydrated on and off the field."We preach when they get home at night after football practice, to hydrate themselves and then we they get up in the morning hydrate themselves," says Truitt.After...More >>
    Football is an intense, and grueling collision sport, and when South Georgia heats up, practice is even more stressful on the body."We don't wanna lose a kid because of the fact they are not hydrating themselves," says Monroe Head Coach Charles Truitt.That's why coaches stress the importance of staying hydrated on and off the field."We preach when they get home at night after football practice, to hydrate themselves and then we they get up in the morning hydrate themselves," says Truitt.After...More >>
SYLVESTER, GA (WALB) -

We know a suspicious item that caused the evacuation of Worth County High School Tuesday morning was a firework that a student accidentally took to school.

School got back to normal after most of the day was interrupted by a scare.

"One of the teachers was checking the book bag of one of the students and found the device. At that time the device was removed by one of our officers and put to safety so no-one could be injured or hurt, the device was secured from the school," said Investigator Kenneth Washington.

As a precaution, all the students were taken to Worth Elementary and the school around 9:30 a.m. While the Georgia Bureau of Investigation searched the school.

"School was evacuated, the principal of the school gave word to evacuate the school immediately," said Washington.

The 16 year-old student was taken into custody for questioning as GBI agents and emergency officials searched the school. 

After the device was found this morning it took the GBI and other emergency officials almost two hours to make sure the school was clear for the students to return.

The GBI determined the item that caused the stir is a legal firework. But because fireworks are not allowed on school grounds, the student will face disciplinary actions.

"This is something we don't take lightly and will be dealt with severely. So please do not do this. If you have a device you want to bring as a joke, it's not a joke it's not funny," said Washington.

Investigators think the student brought the device to school accidentally with no intentions of causing trouble, but they're proud of their quick response.

The student, who has not been named, told officials a second device was at his home. The GBI removed and collect the second device.

It is not known what prompted the teacher to initially look inside the student's backpack.

Investigators say the student will be charged with disruption of school and released to his guardian.

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.