Firework found in backpack causes evacuation of Worth Co. High
SYLVESTER, GA (WALB) -
We know a suspicious item that caused the evacuation of
Worth County High School Tuesday morning was a firework that a student
accidentally took to school.
School got back to normal after most of the day was
interrupted by a scare.
"One of the teachers was checking the book bag of one
of the students and found the device. At that time the device was removed by
one of our officers and put to safety so no-one could be injured or hurt, the
device was secured from the school," said Investigator Kenneth Washington.
As a precaution, all the students were taken to Worth
Elementary and the school around 9:30 a.m. While the Georgia Bureau of Investigation searched the school.
"School was evacuated, the principal of the school gave
word to evacuate the school immediately," said Washington.
The 16 year-old student was taken into custody for
questioning as GBI agents and emergency officials searched the school.
After the device was found this morning it took the GBI and
other emergency officials almost two hours to make sure the school was clear
for the students to return.
The GBI determined the item that caused the stir is a legal
firework. But because fireworks are not allowed on school grounds, the student
will face disciplinary actions.
"This is something we don't take lightly and will be
dealt with severely. So please do not do this. If you have a device you want to
bring as a joke, it's not a joke it's not funny," said Washington.
Investigators think the student brought the device to school
accidentally with no intentions of causing trouble, but they're proud of their
The student, who has not been named, told officials a second device was at his home. The GBI removed and collect the second device.
It is not known what prompted the teacher to initially look inside the student's backpack.
Investigators say the student will be charged with
disruption of school and released to his guardian.