Space Heater likely cause of Albany fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Space Heater likely cause of Albany fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Doerun man tries to elude police on his ATV

    Doerun man tries to elude police on his ATV

    Thursday, April 17 2014 5:49 PM EDT2014-04-17 21:49:32 GMT
    A Doerun man accused of trying to elude police continues to recover at a Tallahassee hospital after a short pursuit ended in a crash Sunday.  Officers said 21 year-old Brandon Michael Reynolds was drivingMore >>
    A Doerun man accused of trying to elude police continues to recover at a Tallahassee hospital after a short pursuit ended in a crash Sunday.More >>
  • Today's the day for News on the Road!

    Today's the day for News on the Road!

    Thursday, April 17 2014 5:27 PM EDT2014-04-17 21:27:58 GMT
    WALB News 10 is hitting the road for our 60th anniversary. You might remember this photo from 2004. Yolanda, Dawn, and Ben having fun with the Ladies of the Red Hat Society in Tifton for WALB's 50thMore >>
    WALB News 10 is hitting the road for our 60th anniversary. You might remember this photo from 2004. Yolanda, Dawn, and Ben having fun with the Ladies of the Red Hat Society in Tifton.More >>
  • Dougherty Sheriff featured tonight on 'Beyond Scared Straight'

    Dougherty Sheriff featured tonight on 'Beyond Scared Straight'

    Thursday, April 17 2014 5:25 PM EDT2014-04-17 21:25:53 GMT
    The Dougherty County Sheriff's Office youth intervention program will be featured on national television for a second time tomorrow.More >>
    The Dougherty County Sheriff's Office youth intervention program will be featured on national television for a second time.More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

A space heater is blamed for an afternoon fire that caused extensive damage to a Northwest Albany home.

As we first reported in a breaking news e-mail alert,  Albany firefighters were called to 3427 Plantation Drive just before two.

Flames were shooting out of a front bedroom when they arrived. It took almost an hour for them to bring it under control.

"Once the fire got knocked down, we had to put the fire out. We did a preliminary investigation and found out that the fire was caused by a space heater left on in the bedroom. When the owner came on to the scene he confirmed he probably left a space heater on in the bedroom." said Battalion Chief C.E. Haynes.

Owner Lok Lai Choi returned to find firefighters putting out the fire at his home. He told them he had been using a space heater in his bedroom.

Copyright 2014 WALB. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow