Third GOP candidate files to run in NC7 race to succeed Rep. Mik - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Third GOP candidate files to run in NC7 race to succeed Rep. Mike McIntyre

Retired Veteran Chris Andrade has filed to run in the Republican primary for the District 7 seat held by Rep. Mike McIntyre Retired Veteran Chris Andrade has filed to run in the Republican primary for the District 7 seat held by Rep. Mike McIntyre

FAYETTEVILLE, NC (WECT) – A third Republican has filed paperwork to run in the race to claim the District 7 House seat held by Rep. Mike McIntyre.

Chris Andrade of Fayetteville filed a "Statement of Candidacy" with the Federal Elections Commission to be a candidate in the race. The 56-year old first-time candidate is a retired Veteran, serving four years in the Marines and 26 years in the U.S. Army, stationed twice at Fort Bragg.

Andrade calls himself a different kind of Republican. "I believe the Republican Party is on the wrong track," Andrade said in a phone interview. "We are missing solutions. We don't work the problem, we work the political agenda. I believe in the Constitution, and the more we walk away from the Constitution, the more problems we will have."

Andrade admits that he is getting into the race later than the other candidates. Andrade says his campaign website "Chris Andrade for Congress" is scheduled to be up and running in the next few weeks.

Former state senators David Rouzer and Woody White have already declared their intentions to seek the Republican nomination. Rouzer lost to McIntyre in the 2012 General Election by less than 700 votes in the closest Congressional race in the country. White is the current Chairman of the New Hanover County Board of Commissioners.

Another New Hanover County Commissioner, Jonathan Barfield, is the only Democrat to declare intentions to run in the District 7 race.

McIntyre announced earlier this month he would not be running for a tenth term in the House.

Copyright 2014 WECT. All rights reserved.

  • PoliticsMore>>

  • House lawmakers plan hearing on GenX discharge into Cape Fear River

    House lawmakers plan hearing on GenX discharge into Cape Fear River

    Wednesday, August 16 2017 9:02 PM EDT2017-08-17 01:02:41 GMT
    State lawmakers plan to hold legislative hearings to investigate the discharge of GenX into the Cape Fear Region's drinking water supply. (Source: WECT)State lawmakers plan to hold legislative hearings to investigate the discharge of GenX into the Cape Fear Region's drinking water supply. (Source: WECT)

    House Speaker Tim Moore said Wednesday he plans to convene a legislative hearing to investigate the discharge of the unregulated chemical GenX into the Cape Fear River.  “I’ll be announcing committee appointments in the coming days to convene investigative hearings on the GenX issue as soon as possible,” 

    More >>

    House Speaker Tim Moore said Wednesday he plans to convene a legislative hearing to investigate the discharge of the unregulated chemical GenX into the Cape Fear River.  “I’ll be announcing committee appointments in the coming days to convene investigative hearings on the GenX issue as soon as possible,” 

    More >>
  • Gov. Cooper vetoes senate bill over water quality concerns

    Gov. Cooper vetoes senate bill over water quality concerns

    Monday, August 14 2017 9:04 PM EDT2017-08-15 01:04:34 GMT
    Gov. Roy Cooper has vetoed two bills, including one he says makes it harder for state and local governments to protect water quality. (Source: governor.nc.gov)Gov. Roy Cooper has vetoed two bills, including one he says makes it harder for state and local governments to protect water quality. (Source: governor.nc.gov)

    Gov. Roy Cooper vetoed two bills that passed the General Assembly earlier this month, including one the governor claims would impact the ability to protect water quality. 

    More >>

    Gov. Roy Cooper vetoed two bills that passed the General Assembly earlier this month, including one the governor claims would impact the ability to protect water quality. 

    More >>
  • Sponsors of controversial bill regarding drivers and protests address Charlottesville violence

    Sponsors of controversial bill regarding drivers and protests address Charlottesville violence

    Monday, August 14 2017 4:52 PM EDT2017-08-14 20:52:25 GMT
    A controversial bill regarding drivers and protests passed the state House in April, but has not been taken up in the state Senate. (Source: WECT)A controversial bill regarding drivers and protests passed the state House in April, but has not been taken up in the state Senate. (Source: WECT)

    Rep. Chris Millis (R-Pender, Onslow) and Rep. Justin Burr (R-Montgomery, Stanly) released a statement Monday afternoon regarding House Bill 330 and the deadly violence in Charlottesville. 

    More >>

    Rep. Chris Millis (R-Pender, Onslow) and Rep. Justin Burr (R-Montgomery, Stanly) released a statement Monday afternoon regarding House Bill 330 and the deadly violence in Charlottesville. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly