Firefighters warn about "alternative heat" dangers - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Firefighters warn about "alternative heat" dangers

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Man pleads in Mercer student murder

    Man pleads in Mercer student murder

    Monday, April 21 2014 11:54 AM EDT2014-04-21 15:54:11 GMT
    MACON, Ga. (AP) - A week before his trial was set to begin, the man accused of killing and dismembering a law school classmate in Macon has pleaded guilty to malice murder.    Local media report that 28-year-oldMore >>
    28-year-old Stephen McDaniel reached a plea agreement with prosecutors in the June 2011 slaying of 27-year-old Lauren Giddings of Laurel, Md. Giddings had just graduated from Mercer University Law School and lived next door to McDaniel.More >>
  • Men burglarize defunct Holley School

    Men burglarize defunct Holley School

    Monday, April 21 2014 10:36 AM EDT2014-04-21 14:36:24 GMT
    Sylvester Police arrested two men for stealing items from a Sylvester school that closed several years ago. Lt. Ronnie Graddy of the Sylvester Police Department says that late Friday afternoon, Lt. TracyMore >>
    Lt. Ronnie Graddy of the Sylvester Police Department says that late Friday afternoon, Lt. Tracy Jones noticed a red pick-up truck backed up to the old Holley Elementary School building, on Carter Road in Sylvester.More >>
  • Americus runner back in Boston

    Americus runner back in Boston

    Monday, April 21 2014 7:06 AM EDT2014-04-21 11:06:25 GMT
    One of the thousands of runners participating in the marathon today comes from Southwest Georgia, Charlene Pennymon. She's returning to Boston to win another title but also give hope to others. @ ThisMore >>
    One of the thousands of runners participating in the marathon today comes from Southwest Georgia, Charlene Pennymon. She's returning to Boston to beat her current record but also give hope to others. More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

In case of a power outage, Firefighters are urging South Georgians not to try using outdoor equipment to heat inside their homes.

Firefighters say when the power goes off in cold weather, they have seen people try to bring charcoal grills or outdoor fire pits indoors for use. They say people have even been known to build fires in sinks or on floors, sometimes with tragic results.

Albany Fire Department Chief James Carswell said "These kind of things are never intended to be brought inside. And if you do you are creating an atmosphere that could cause a fire. And may cost you your life."

Firefighters also urge people to not use space heaters for long periods of times. Those devices are not made to run for several hours without cooling.

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow