Heating your home Do's and Don'ts - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Heating your home Do's and Don'ts

Posted: Updated:
Mark Holloway, Modern Gas President Mark Holloway, Modern Gas President
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Man taken to hospital after Slappey wreck

    Man taken to hospital after Slappey wreck

    Friday, August 22 2014 5:28 PM EDT2014-08-22 21:28:16 GMT
    APD says Donald Phelps Jr., 32, was traveling south on Slappey Boulevard in a 2008 Kia Rondo, when he veered over into the northbound lane of traffic. More >>
    APD says Donald Phelps Jr., 32, was traveling south on Slappey Boulevard in a 2008 Kia Rondo, when he veered over into the northbound lane of traffic. More >>
  • More than $1,500 in guns, jewelry stolen from Valdosta home

    Friday, August 22 2014 5:25 PM EDT2014-08-22 21:25:47 GMT
    71 year-old Jessie Garnto said she left her home at 203 Simpson Street around 10:30 a.m. Thursday to run some errands, and when she came back around 1:30 she discovered someone had broken into her home through her back door.More >>
    71 year-old Jessie Garnto said she left her home at 203 Simpson Street around 10:30 a.m. Thursday to run some errands, and when she came back around 1:30 she discovered someone had broken into her home through her back door.More >>
  • Police seeking stolen motorcycle

    Police seeking stolen motorcycle

    Friday, August 22 2014 5:24 PM EDT2014-08-22 21:24:36 GMT
    This the missing 2004 Suzuki G-S-X-1300-R.It was taken off John Jackson's trailer on Moultrie Road and Spring Flats Road around noon on August 2nd.More >>
    This the missing 2004 Suzuki G-S-X-1300-R.It was taken off John Jackson's trailer on Moultrie Road and Spring Flats Road around noon on August 2nd.More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

As another arctic blast approaches heating your home safely is a priority, but are you using the right appliances?    

Modern Gas is a super store for heating appliances either inside your home or for your backyard. But just because something generates heat doesn't mean it's supposed to heat the inside of your home.  

"This is a construction heater right here and it should not be used inside the house it's designed to be used on construction sites and outdoor shops," said Mark Holloway.  

This heater comes with no safety features and releases carbon monoxide which can be deadly. Space heaters can be used in the home, but you need to check them to make sure they're running properly if you haven't used them in a while.  

"You want to make sure that it's not too close to a bed or furniture that could catch it on fire if you're going to be running it constantly on in," said Holloway.  

These pretty vented gas logs generate efficient heat when their dampers are open.

"Don't try to get more heat out of this style of log by closing the damper because it is not designed to be operated with the damper closed," said Holloway.    

Holloway says these charcoal grills should never be brought inside the home to be used as a heating source.  

"Every year I hear about a death of somebody bringing in a charcoal grill inside to be desperate and using charcoal to heat the house. Charcoal emits carbon monoxide and will kill you so do not use a charcoal grill to keep you warm inside your home," said Holloway.  

Holloway says when using any type of gas appliances it's important to have a functioning carbon monoxide protector in your home.  He also says if the appliances say not to be used in doors, then it's best to follow those instructions for your safety.

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.