One dead in Donalsonville fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

One dead in Donalsonville fire

DONALSONVILLE, GA (WALB) -

Firefighters say a space heater is to blame for a fire that claimed the life of a person in Donalsonville Thursday morning.

Police Chief Jimmy Holt said it happened at a home on South Henderson Avenue.

According to family at the scene, Dezra "Rene" Jones died in the fire. There were no immediate reports of other injuries.

Chief Holt said this fire is one of a rising number of cases that involve space heaters in homes.

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Murder trial hits a snag when witness won't testify

    Murder trial hits a snag when witness won't testify

    Monday, May 22 2017 9:50 PM EDT2017-05-23 01:50:30 GMT
    (Source: Dougherty Co. Sheriff)(Source: Dougherty Co. Sheriff)

    Monday went quickly for jurors in this case.  The judge dismissed them around noon, after one of the eye-witnesses who is behind bars refused to go to the trial.

    More >>

    Monday went quickly for jurors in this case.  The judge dismissed them around noon, after one of the eye-witnesses who is behind bars refused to go to the trial.

    More >>
  • Woman killed in fall from billboard

    Woman killed in fall from billboard

    Monday, May 22 2017 7:22 PM EDT2017-05-22 23:22:17 GMT
    It happened near Loch Laurel Road (Source: Google Maps)It happened near Loch Laurel Road (Source: Google Maps)

    Preliminary investigations revealed the female victim fell from a billboard while conducting routine maintenance, and suffered fatal injury, according to Lowndes County Coroner Austin J. Fiveash.

    More >>

    Preliminary investigations revealed the female victim fell from a billboard while conducting routine maintenance, and suffered fatal injury, according to Lowndes County Coroner Austin J. Fiveash.

    More >>
  • Lowndes Co. Officials warn community after rabies attack

    Lowndes Co. Officials warn community after rabies attack

    Monday, May 22 2017 7:06 PM EDT2017-05-22 23:06:43 GMT
    (Source: WALB)(Source: WALB)

    Health officials are urging you to be careful around wildlife and stray animals, after a South Georgia family was attacked by a fox with rabies. This happened last Thursday on Cotton Avenue in Lake Park. A man and his dog were attacked by the fox when they went outside their house. Lowndes County animal service employees said the fox's test came back positive for Rabies. "Once someone really becomes infected with the rabies virus and it develops into the disease.

    More >>

    Health officials are urging you to be careful around wildlife and stray animals, after a South Georgia family was attacked by a fox with rabies. This happened last Thursday on Cotton Avenue in Lake Park. A man and his dog were attacked by the fox when they went outside their house. Lowndes County animal service employees said the fox's test came back positive for Rabies. "Once someone really becomes infected with the rabies virus and it develops into the disease.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly