Be There: "No Name Calling Week" encourages words of kindness - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Be There: "No Name Calling Week" encourages words of kindness

COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) -

"No Name Calling Week, Celebrate Kindness" is the focus for middle school students at Fort Service Learning Magnet school this week.

The school started the program 5 years ago, formerly called, "No Name Calling, Only Compliments."

Seventh grader Mia Reese recalled the positive impact the concept is having on others.

"Kids who are normally not as nice, they are getting a little bit nicer," Mia said.

Mia also added that the special week helps to curb bullying and gives students an opportunity to be kind to others for their good deeds.

Principal Sonja Coaxum explained how the strategies are a conduit for Character Education and Conflict Resolution.

"It shows the impact of our students being aware, more sensitive and embracing one another and helping one another--because those are the citizens that we want to graduate from our great school," Coaxum said.

Mia's parents also think the No Name Calling Week will have lasting effects on students.

"It teaches kids a lot of tolerance especially at this age who are going through a lot and will have an opportunity to be bullied or participate in bullying," said Richard Reese, Mia's Father, who also teaches and coaches at Carver High School. "It's important that she and the other students participate because it becomes repetition."

Her mother is also an educator at J. D. Elementary School.

The idea of a "No Name Calling Week" originated in 2004. It was inspired by a novel for teenagers called Misfits by James Howe.

The school has different activities planned throughout the week re-enforcing the concept of No Name Calling.

One activity was during the morning announcements—each student is asked to turn to their neighbor and say something kind.

Copyright 2014 WTVM. All rights reserved.

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:37 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:37:43 GMT
    The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>
  • Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:26 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:26:50 GMT
    Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>
  • Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Monday, July 24 2017 3:48 PM EDT2017-07-24 19:48:41 GMT
    Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly