Adel family displaced by chimney fire Saturday, again on Monday - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Adel family displaced by chimney fire Saturday, again on Monday

What remains of the house at 407 East Ninth Street in Adel after a chimney fire on Monday What remains of the house at 407 East Ninth Street in Adel after a chimney fire on Monday
The scorched chimney at the home at 407 East Ninth Street The scorched chimney at the home at 407 East Ninth Street
The house in the 300 block of South Burwell Street in Adel The house in the 300 block of South Burwell Street in Adel
Scorch marks on the house in the 300 block of South Burwell street Scorch marks on the house in the 300 block of South Burwell street
Jimmy Walker Jimmy Walker
ADEL, GA (WALB) -

The chimney fire at 407 East Ninth Street in Adel Monday consumed the house...and nearly consumed the lives of two Adel firefighters.

"We had a collapse about 30 minutes into the fire. Two firefighters was trapped," explained Adel Fire Chief Jimmy Walker

Just after three o' clock yesterday afternoon, the two firefighters were inside the burning home trying to put out the fire when the roof and the walls collapsed...trapping them inside.

Thankfully, a second team of firefighters was standing by and was able to rescue the two firefighters, Jody Meeler and Joe Godwin.

"We had our rapid response team go in and remove the [firefighters] in less than 10 minutes," Walker continued.

The family that was living in the home had a chimney fire in their previous home, in the 300 block of South Burwell Avenue, on Saturday. 

Walker emphasized that this likely could have been prevented if people would stop and think before starting a fire in their fireplace.

"If you haven't used it in a while, and you feel like it needs inspecting, get an inspector to inspect it and go from there. Don't just go ahead and build your fire and hope for the best," emphasized Walker.

Even though chimneys are made for fires, that doesn't automatically mean they're safe.

"That is also correct; especially an older chimney. I would definitely be leery of usin' one," Walker added.

Something he hopes people remember, so that no more houses are burnt down and no more lives are put at risk.

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Service honors fallen service members at Albany's Field of Crosses

    Service honors fallen service members at Albany's Field of Crosses

    Sunday, May 28 2017 10:19 PM EDT2017-05-29 02:19:11 GMT
    (Source: WALB)(Source: WALB)

    Several dozen people gathered Sunday to remember and honor fallen military service members. It was the annual Field of Crosses Memorial Day Service at the Albany Mall. Speakers talked about the focus of Memorial Day being fallen service members.

    More >>

    Several dozen people gathered Sunday to remember and honor fallen military service members. It was the annual Field of Crosses Memorial Day Service at the Albany Mall. Speakers talked about the focus of Memorial Day being fallen service members.

    More >>
  • "Rabbitman" hosts third annual After School Extravaganza

    "Rabbitman" hosts third annual After School Extravaganza

    Sunday, May 28 2017 10:14 PM EDT2017-05-29 02:14:36 GMT
    (Source: WALB)(Source: WALB)

    A local business rewarded students after another successful school year.  Elijah Williams Jr., owner of Rabbitman Footwear, hosted his After School Extravaganza. It's a chance to celebrate students for their hard work during the school year.

    More >>

    A local business rewarded students after another successful school year.  Elijah Williams Jr., owner of Rabbitman Footwear, hosted his After School Extravaganza. It's a chance to celebrate students for their hard work during the school year.

    More >>
  • WATCH: Airman surprises sister at Mitchell Co. High graduation

    WATCH: Airman surprises sister at Mitchell Co. High graduation

    Sunday, May 28 2017 9:10 PM EDT2017-05-29 01:10:11 GMT
    (Source: Facebook)(Source: Facebook)

    A U.S. Airman pulled off the surprise of a lifetime for his sister this weekend. Jakeria Florence graduated from Mitchell County High School Friday night. Scarlette M Wimberly She did not think her brother, Airman 1st Class Jason Florence, would make it to her graduation. He's been stationed in Alaska for more than two years.

    More >>

    A U.S. Airman pulled off the surprise of a lifetime for his sister this weekend. Jakeria Florence graduated from Mitchell County High School Friday night. Scarlette M Wimberly She did not think her brother, Airman 1st Class Jason Florence, would make it to her graduation. He's been stationed in Alaska for more than two years.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly