Moultrie fire displaces 11 tenants -, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Moultrie fire displaces 11 tenants

Orange cones block 5th Ave in Moultrie as firefighters battle a blaze Orange cones block 5th Ave in Moultrie as firefighters battle a blaze
American Red Cross lending a helping hand American Red Cross lending a helping hand
Ruwis family lending a helping hand Ruwis family lending a helping hand

Around 4:00 PM Wednesday afternoon, 5th Avenue in Moultrie was blocked by orange cones.  Moultrie Police redirected traffic as firefighters battled a blaze that started in a downstairs unit and spread to the attic.  

"Made entry got fire extinguished, no one was injured in the fire, however there was eleven occupants in the building that were displaced," said Justin Cox, Fire Investigator, Moultrie Fire Department.  

The American Red Cross quickly arrived, handing out water and coffee to those affected, as well as helping firefighters stay hydrated.  

"Well at this point we are trying to feed the occupants of the apartment building, trying to get them some food, we are also providing money for clothing for the rest of the week," said Sam Stephens, Volunteer, American Red Cross.  

Red Cross volunteers weren't the only good Samaritans. The Ruwis family lent a hand by delivering dozens of cheeseburgers from McDonald's they heard about the fire while they were in church, they say they are simply doing the Lord's will.  

"Well this is a perfect example of our community here and our church, First Baptist Church reaching out, in any emergency there are folks that are ready to do whatever is necessary," said Barbara Ruwis.  

Turning Point leases the apartments to provide transitional housing for patients wrapping up addiction or behavioral health treatment. 

Firefighters say the fire was caused by misuse of a space heater. They urge everyone to be cautious.  

"Cold weather you want to be very careful with space heaters, make sure they have plenty of space around them, not near any combustibles, if you use fireplaces, make sure your chimneys are in good shape," said Cox.  

Wednesday night, workers boarding up the apartment building and the Red Cross sent the 11 people displaced by the fire to motels. Everyone got out of the apartment building safely, and no one was taken to the hospital.   Turning Point plans to find new apartments for those fire victims tomorrow. If you would like to help those affected by Wednesday's fire call (229) 985-6924.

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.


Powered by Frankly