Dress warmly, don't let your gas tank go empty - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Dress warmly, don't let your gas tank go empty

Workers at Bates Propane in Albany were busy. Workers at Bates Propane in Albany were busy.
Albany resident Dewey Hall preps his tangerine tree for the cold. Albany resident Dewey Hall preps his tangerine tree for the cold.
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

 

Workers at Bates Propane in Albany were extremely busy today with calls from people wanting propane at the last minute.

Others are covering their trees, hoping they'll survive the freeze.

Albany resident Dewey Hall has been growing his tangerine tree since 2006. He's prepping it for the cold, covering it with sheets, so it won't freeze.

"I've had it in lower teen temperatures before, and it made it through when I had it covered in this manner," said Hall. "This is just enough cover to keep the frost from biting the tree to kill it."

A cold weather blast is expected to bring temperatures in the teens, along with high winds.

People who will be working outside tomorrow say they plan to wear several layers of clothes to stay warm.

"I'm going to put on at least like four pairs of socks and I need to go get some gloves obviously, look at my hands," said Ean McCob, who works outside.

But others say they like the cold, and look forward to the cold blast.

"It's like summer time for me," said Garry Bates of Bates Propane. "When you're used to cold weather, you are used to it. I'm used to 19 inches of snow. I'm used to temperatures dropping so this is nothing."

At Bate's Propane, workers say they've been extremely busy. Owners say they've had about a 30 percent increase in demand.

"we are getting everyone filled up today, but it just comes in waves," noted Bates. "A wave came Friday and Saturday. Another one came this morning and then tomorrow will be busy."

He says they received about 40 Monday, and expect plenty more Tuesday.

If you'll be spending any time outside tonight or tomorrow morning, make sure to dress warmly with gloves, hats, and scarves.

 

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:37 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:37:43 GMT
    The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>
  • Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:26 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:26:50 GMT
    Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>
  • Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Monday, July 24 2017 3:48 PM EDT2017-07-24 19:48:41 GMT
    Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly