Fire displaces family of five - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire displaces family of five

Posted: Updated:
American Red Cross volunteer Michael Shivok American Red Cross volunteer Michael Shivok
Stephanie Jordan Stephanie Jordan
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

An Albany family of five is displaced after fire burns their home. The American Red Cross is concerned that more South Georgians could become fire victims because of this extreme cold weather. They are urging you to be cautious heating your home as the temperatures plummet.   

That family of five is spending tonight in a motel, but Tuesday, on one of the coldest days in decades they are going to have to find a new home.       

Firefighters say the Jordan family was asleep when the blaze started in their kitchen on Edgerly Avenue about 11:30 Sunday morning.  A passerby spotted the fire and beat on the door to warn them.

Stephanie Jordan said "He came on the porch and he said "Wake up, wake up crazy nuts.  Wake up, wake up crazy nuts." The sleeping family had just seconds to grab some clothes and get out. "By the time I could jump to go to the kitchen, the whole kitchen was in flames.  The fire was just everywhere."

American Red Cross volunteers are concerned with the rapidly dropping temperatures; they could be busy tonight answering calls for help for fire victims.        

"Yes, sir. I believe the next couple of days, being as cold as it's going to be, I believe this is really going to pick up the fires. And unfortunately that's how it happens when it's real cold," said American Red Cross volunteer Michael Shivok.  

Shivok, a retired electrician, says many older South Georgia homes are not wired to handle the strain from running numbers of heaters, as people struggle in continuous freezing weather. "I make people aware that you can't plug 2 or 3 heaters in one outlet. You can't run these little extension cords to heaters.  They gonna burn up.  And they will cause a fire. Most of the time probably while you are sleeping," Shivok said.

The Jordan family only was able to save a little clothing in Sunday's fire, and it is ruined by smoke.   But they count themselves blessed they are still alive. "It could have been the other way.  We could have just caught on fire at night and couldn't make it out of the house," Jordan said. Stephanie Jordan is hoping people will donate to them, and help them get back on their feet. The coldest temperatures in decades, their family has very little left.  

The American Red Cross and firefighters are urging people be cautious using space heaters to stay warm tonight, but most importantly make sure your home has working smoke detectors to warn you in case of a fire.

If you would like to donate to help the Jordan family, or all fire victims in South Georgia's 24 counties, contact the Flint River Chapter of the American Red Cross. Their phone number is 436-4845.

 

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.