Students, staff return to school after gas leak repaired - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Students, staff return to school after gas leak repaired

PARAGOULD, AR (KAIT) - A natural gas leak was repaired Thursday morning after prompting an evacuation at the Paragould Junior High School campus.

Students and staff returned to the school about an hour and a half after being evacuated to the field house next to the football stadium. 

Students at Paragould Junior High and Paragould High School were evacuated for short time Thursday because of a gas leak at the school. The leak was later repaired and students returned to school. 

The Paragould superintendent, Debbie Smith, said their number one priority was to evacuate the students then to inform parents.

"What prompted the gas leak was actually a water leak that we experienced yesterday," Smith said.

In the process of trying to fix a water leak, the gas line was punctured at Paragould Junior High. At that point, Paragould Fire Department and Centerpoint Entergy were called out to the school.

"We respond to a gas leak, our normal process is to take an engine for protection and then basically stand by until it gets repaired," said Danny Rogers, assistant fire chief at Paragould Fire Department.

Rogers said they stayed on the scene unit the gas company said it was safe for students to return to school.

"I think the school officials absolutely routinely and took care of everything, they moved the students to a safe area and there was no issues," Rogers said.

Smith said she was able to contact parents once she got word of the leak using a system called Blackboard Connect.

"I send out an alert now message to parents of our students in the district," Smith said. "The parents that called this morning were very gracious, they were very appreciative, very patient and they were very understanding."

Smith said she also sent out a second message to inform parents the leak had been taken care of and students could return back to school.

"We really appreciate the patience that we have from our parents," she said. "Not only was it shut off but it has been repaired now so we are back to normal as far as the gas leak is concerned."

Smith said they will continue to work on the water leak.

Copyright 2013 KAIT. All rights reserved.

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • The Latest: Irma weakens into a tropical depression

    The Latest: Irma weakens into a tropical depression

    Monday, September 11 2017 3:27 AM EDT2017-09-11 07:27:29 GMT
    Tuesday, September 12 2017 2:42 AM EDT2017-09-12 06:42:09 GMT
    Irma weakened to a Category 1 storm as the massive hurricane zeroed in on the Tampa Bay region early Monday after hammering much of Florida with roof-ripping winds, gushing floodwaters and widespread power outages.More >>
    Irma weakened to a Category 1 storm as the massive hurricane zeroed in on the Tampa Bay region early Monday after hammering much of Florida with roof-ripping winds, gushing floodwaters and widespread power outages.More >>
  • Lee Co. seeks man who exposed himself

    Lee Co. seeks man who exposed himself

    Friday, September 22 2017 3:54 PM EDT2017-09-22 19:54:23 GMT
    (Source: Lee Co. Sheriff)(Source: Lee Co. Sheriff)

    About 8:00 Friday morning, a man went into the Lee County Walmart, walked around the store, and exposed himself to a woman, according to Lee County sheriff's officials.

    More >>

    About 8:00 Friday morning, a man went into the Lee County Walmart, walked around the store, and exposed himself to a woman, according to Lee County sheriff's officials.

    More >>
  • UPDATE: Victims of Lee Co. fire identified

    UPDATE: Victims of Lee Co. fire identified

    Friday, September 22 2017 2:32 PM EDT2017-09-22 18:32:15 GMT

    Lee County Fire Chief David Forrester said there were two people in the home, and they saw one person in the front yard.  Two people in the home were transported to Phoebe Putney.

    More >>

    Lee County Fire Chief David Forrester said there were two people in the home, and they saw one person in the front yard.  Two people in the home were transported to Phoebe Putney.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly