Officials warn of improper use of space heaters - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Officials warn of improper use of space heaters

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • USA Track star killed in Crisp County crash

    USA Track star killed in Crisp County crash

    Monday, July 28 2014 7:30 AM EDT2014-07-28 11:30:31 GMT
    Track and field field star killed after semi slammed into a stalled car on I-75 in Cordele.More >>
    Track and field field star killed after semi slammed into a stalled car on I-75 in Cordele.More >>
  • PCA faces judge Monday for salmonella outbreak

    PCA faces judge Monday for salmonella outbreak

    Monday, July 28 2014 4:03 AM EDT2014-07-28 08:03:54 GMT
     Happening today jury selection set to get underway in one of the largest food recall cases in our nation's history. It comes nearly 5 years after a deadly salmonella outbreak was linked to a south Georgia peanut manufacture and three people, including it's former owner are set to stand trial. More >>
     Happening today jury selection set to get underway in one of the largest food recall cases in our nation's history. It comes nearly 5 years after a deadly salmonella outbreak was linked to a south Georgia peanut manufacture and three people, including it's former owner are set to stand trial. More >>
  • UPDATE: Police search for man who shot up two vehicles

    UPDATE: Police search for man who shot up two vehicles

    Sunday, July 27 2014 11:38 PM EDT2014-07-28 03:38:04 GMT
    Albany police say several shots were fired into an unoccupied vehicle Sunday evening at a restaurant parking lot.More >>
    Albany police say several shots were fired into an unoccupied vehicle Sunday evening at a restaurant parking lot.More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Officials are warning about the use of space heaters following the injury of an Albany woman.

Firefighters remind you to make sure your heater isn't too close to other items in the home.

Also remember that space heaters are made only to heat a small area and you shouldn't use them for continuous heat.

 

"Every year during the cold weather we have incidents of fires related to people improperly using space heaters last week we had a lady that her space heater malfunction too close to combustibles that resulted in her being carried to the hospital," said Fire chief James Carswell.

It's possible for a cord on space heaters to overheat and start a fire.

 

Copyright 2013 WALB. All rights reserved.