Officials warn of improper use of space heaters - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Officials warn of improper use of space heaters

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Several Harvey's stores close for remodeling

    Several Harvey's stores close for remodeling

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 11:29 AM EDT2014-04-23 15:29:18 GMT
    If you depend on a Harvey's grocery store in one of several South Georgia towns, you will have to find an alternative for a week. Ten of them will be closing on May 3 for minor renovations and reopeningMore >>
    If you depend on a Harvey's grocery store in one of several South Georgia towns, you will have to find an alternative for a week. Ten of them will be closing on May 3 for minor renovations.More >>
  • Formal VSU traffic safety study could begin soon

    Formal VSU traffic safety study could begin soon

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 11:20 AM EDT2014-04-23 15:20:15 GMT
    We now have a slightly better idea of when a formal study of the traffic around Valdosta State University's campus could begin. At a meeting Wednesday morning, the Valdosta Lowndes County MetropolitanMore >>
    We now have a slightly better idea of when a formal study of the traffic around Valdosta State University's campus could begin. At a meeting Wednesday morning, the Valdosta Lowndes County Metropolitan Planning Organization discussed the study, among other things.More >>
  • Man arrested for stealing tip jar

    Man arrested for stealing tip jar

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 10:34 AM EDT2014-04-23 14:34:32 GMT
    Timothy Banthongsack was arrested in the below case last night. From: Whitley-Banks, Phyllis Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:09 AM To: Whitley-Banks, Phyllis Subject:   22-14-008228  RobberyMore >>
    Timothy Banthongsack was arrested Tuesday evening for snatching the tip jar at Carrol's Meats on Philema Road.
    More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Officials are warning about the use of space heaters following the injury of an Albany woman.

Firefighters remind you to make sure your heater isn't too close to other items in the home.

Also remember that space heaters are made only to heat a small area and you shouldn't use them for continuous heat.

 

"Every year during the cold weather we have incidents of fires related to people improperly using space heaters last week we had a lady that her space heater malfunction too close to combustibles that resulted in her being carried to the hospital," said Fire chief James Carswell.

It's possible for a cord on space heaters to overheat and start a fire.

 

Copyright 2013 WALB. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow