Woman hospitalized after heater goes up in smoke - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Woman hospitalized after heater goes up in smoke

Posted: Updated:
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

An Albany woman was taken to the hospital after her heater began to smoke Thursday morning.

Around 11 a.m. the Albany Fire Department and Dougherty County EMS were called to a home at 1001 Dunes Avenue after a senior citizen with respiratory problems called for help.

Paramedics say the motor in the woman's heater may have seized, causing it to over heat and smoke.

The heater sustained most of the damage, but responders say nothing else in the home was harmed.

The woman was taken to Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital for moderate smoke inhalation. Paramedics say no one suffered serious injuries.

Responders say the call isn't unusual this time of year, and urge residents to have their heating units serviced to prevent complications as cooler temperatures move in.

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow