Two local fire departments called out to burning homes - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Two local fire departments called out to burning homes

Posted:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Darton College receives new honor

    Darton College receives new honor

    Friday, August 29 2014 11:37 PM EDT2014-08-30 03:37:42 GMT
    Darton State College receives a new honor.It is ranked 6th in the country among mid-sized colleges in the Center for Digital Education's annual Digital Community Colleges Survey.More >>
    Darton State College receives a new honor.It is ranked 6th in the country among mid-sized colleges in the Center for Digital Education's annual Digital Community Colleges Survey.More >>
  • NFL domestic violence punishment a step in the right direction

    NFL domestic violence punishment a step in the right direction

    Friday, August 29 2014 11:34 PM EDT2014-08-30 03:34:28 GMT
    Silke Deeley, Liberty House Executive DirectorSilke Deeley, Liberty House Executive Director
    The director of an Albany women's shelter is glad the NFL is sending a strong message against domestic violence .Yesterday, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell put tough new punishments in place for players who commit domestic violence. More >>
    The director of an Albany women's shelter is glad the NFL is sending a strong message against domestic violence .Yesterday, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell put tough new punishments in place for players who commit domestic violence. More >>
  • Albany fire department recruits 15 firefighters

    Albany fire department recruits 15 firefighters

    Friday, August 29 2014 11:29 PM EDT2014-08-30 03:29:55 GMT
    Richard Lynn, Albany FirefighterRichard Lynn, Albany Firefighter
    More than a dozen men and women begin their careers as Albany firefighters. Within a couple of hours, some of those men and women will work at stations throughout the county to serve and protect our community.More >>
    More than a dozen men and women begin their careers as Albany firefighters. Within a couple of hours, some of those men and women will work at stations throughout the county to serve and protect our community.More >>

 JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - The Jonesboro Fire Department was called out to a house fire Tuesday morning. The cause of the fire started when something went wrong with the heating system.

JFD Battalion Chief, Marty Hamrick, said take every precaution when it comes to heating your home and using appliances.

"Still a lot of cooking fires but with space heaters and stuff of that nature, we see an increase because people are running them more," said Hamrick.

If you do use a space heater make sure you are aware of your surroundings.

"Have them away from any combustibles," said Hamrick. "Don't put blankets around them and keep a lot of space around them."

When you are using fire for anything in your home, make sure it's out before you leave and that you have your chimney's cleaned before use.

"With candles and that sort of thing use common sense," said Hamrick. "With chimney's if you're using wood burning or a gas fire place, make sure they are clean."

Copyright 2013 KAIT. All rights reserved.