Grease fire takes the life of a man and his dog in East Albany - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Grease fire takes the life of a man and his dog in East Albany

Posted: Updated:
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

A fatal house fire in East Albany claims the life on one man and his pet.

Nicholas Flewellen, 33, died early this morning after his home caught fire around 3:30 a.m. Fire officials say this was a grease fire caused after Flewellen left grease heating on his kitchen stove. He was found in his bed along with his dog, and did have burns on his body.

When fire crew arrived at his house at 708 Dartmouth Lane, fire was coming through the roof and they had to fight their way into the house. Fire crews finally got the fire under control at 4:03 a.m.

"Kind hearted. He taught me a lot that was my big cousin. I miss him a lot," said Alexander Brown.

"He had talk to a neighbor at approximately 1:30 and borrowed some cooking oil, the fire started in the kitchen. It was determined to be an unattended cooking fire and apparently he had started the grease on the stove and went to his bedroom and laid down for fell asleep," said Battalion Chief Kelly Harcrow.

Harcrow says it's important to always stay in the kitchen while cooking and if you do leave take a potholder or towel with you to help remind yourself you have food heating on the stove.

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.  

Powered by WorldNow