Fire officials: cell phone charger sparked fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire officials: cell phone charger sparked fire that displaced family

Posted: Updated:
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Albany firefighters are warning people to unplug their cell phone chargers and other similar electronic devices when they are not in use, because they can spark fires.

Firefighters say 7 people are displaced from a home, after a fire late Sunday night caused by a shorted cell phone charger.

The fire started just after 11 p.m. at 610 West Lincoln.  Porche Greene said she was talking on her cell phone when she saw the fire under her bed, coming from her charger and the extension cord it was plugged into.

The fire destroyed that bedroom and there was  heavy smoke damage to the rest of the home.

Firefighters say they have seen these type of fires before and while it is rare, it's still better to be safe than sorry.

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.