Albany house fire displaces family of 7 - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Albany house fire displaces family of 7

Posted: Updated:
AFD returns to scene to further investigate AFD returns to scene to further investigate
AFD responded to the call AFD responded to the call
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

A family of 7 has been forced out of their home after a fire ripped through their entire upstairs. It happened on the 600 block of Lincoln Ave in South Albany.

For homeowner, Bridgett Shelton, a cell phone charger is partly to blame for a spark that started a fire inside her upstairs bedroom.

Shelton tells WALB around 11 o'clock last night while at home, she saw her lights flicker followed by loud stomping noises. It was her son, daughter and grandchildren making their way downstairs, according to Shelton, her daughter was talking on her cell phone while it was still plugged in the wall charger, she heard a pop, dropped the phone and sparks flew onto the bed catching it on fire.

The family of 7 ran out the home and called 911. The Albany Fire Department responded to the call and were able to contain it. Right now, there is no confirmation from AFD that the charger was the actual cause or if it was a short in the outlet.

Currently, family members are staying with relatives and will not be allowed to go back into their home until electrical work has been done.

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow