Family is homeless after kitchen fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Family is displaced after kitchen fire

Capt. Kenneth Burns of the Americus Fire Department Capt. Kenneth Burns of the Americus Fire Department
AMERICUS, GA (WALB) -

A family of five in Americus is displaced after a kitchen fire severely damaged their home. Fire officials say 18,000 Americans are injured and 3500 die each year in kitchen fires alone.

The Hogg family is packing up the remainder of their belongings after a kitchen fire damaged their home at the Southland Heights Apartment complex around midnight.

David Hogg says he was sleep when his daughter's boyfriend was in the kitchen cooking shrimp.  "He walked off and forgot about it, the grease got into the burner and then it blazed up and caught the cabinets on fire, and we didn't have time to get it out."

Family members ranging in age from 18 months to 57 years old made it out. The fire caused damage to the doors of nearby units, but did not damage anything inside. Smoke did spread into other units forcing firefighters to break windows.

Gary Woods of the Americus Housing Authority said, "We have to make repairs to the other apartments that are here, there's a lot of debris in the hallways, and we don't want the tenants to track it into their apartments."

 Woods says the fire caused forty thousand dollars worth of damage. "We lost pretty much everything in our kitchen, and some stuff in our living room," Hogg said.

The Fire also damaged shingles and the outside of the home. Firefighters urge you to be cautious every time you cook.

"You don't leave things in the oven unattended or on top of the stove unattended and that's one of the biggest things that we have to worry about is leaving food being cooked unattended," said Capt. Kenneth Burns of the Americus Fire Department.

Hogg says he's just thankful no one was hurt. "I'm very thankful, we had that little bitty baby in there and I'm very thankful." The Red Cross put the Hogg family up in a hotel for two nights. They are now looking for another place to live.

A glass company is working to replace the broken windows. Americus Housing officials say it will take several months to repair the burned unit.

If you'd like to help the family, call 229-815-3049, or the Red Cross at 229-924-2026. www.redcross.org.

For Fire-Safe Cooking tips click here.

 

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • South Georgia group aims to stop underage drinking

    South Georgia group aims to stop underage drinking

    Saturday, April 21 2018 6:44 PM EDT2018-04-21 22:44:07 GMT
    South Georgia Starz working to prevent underage drinking. (Source: WALB)South Georgia Starz working to prevent underage drinking. (Source: WALB)
    The College Football National Championship game just days away and tickets are pretty pricey, but so are DUIs. (Source: WALB)The College Football National Championship game just days away and tickets are pretty pricey, but so are DUIs. (Source: WALB)

    An Albany nonprofit is working to address underage drinking.  South Georgia Starz Academy has gotten a mental block grant, through the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration or SAMHSA.  

    More >>

    An Albany nonprofit is working to address underage drinking.  South Georgia Starz Academy has gotten a mental block grant, through the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration or SAMHSA.  

    More >>
  • Art museum brings out local families

    Art museum brings out local families

    Saturday, April 21 2018 6:21 PM EDT2018-04-21 22:21:57 GMT
    Family day at the Albany Museum of Arts. (Source: WALB)Family day at the Albany Museum of Arts. (Source: WALB)

    For almost 10 years the Albany Museum of Art has encouraged families to explore their creative side.  Saturday was no different.

    More >>

    For almost 10 years the Albany Museum of Art has encouraged families to explore their creative side.  Saturday was no different.

    More >>
  • Groundbreaking for Lee Co veteran home

    Groundbreaking for Lee Co veteran home

    Saturday, April 21 2018 6:17 PM EDT2018-04-21 22:17:57 GMT
    The Flint Habitat for Humanity broke ground on a lot today in Lee County for the family of a veteran. (Source: WALB)The Flint Habitat for Humanity broke ground on a lot today in Lee County for the family of a veteran. (Source: WALB)

    A South Georgia veteran's family will soon move into a new home, thanks to the hard work of volunteers.  The Flint Habitat for Humanity broke ground on a lot today in Lee County for the family of a veteran. 

    More >>

    A South Georgia veteran's family will soon move into a new home, thanks to the hard work of volunteers.  The Flint Habitat for Humanity broke ground on a lot today in Lee County for the family of a veteran. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly