Family is homeless after kitchen fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Family is displaced after kitchen fire

Posted: Updated:
Capt. Kenneth Burns of the Americus Fire Department Capt. Kenneth Burns of the Americus Fire Department
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Worth Co. hosts open house

    Worth Co. hosts open house

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:24 PM EDT2014-07-29 03:24:37 GMT
    It's already back to school time for some south Georgia students. Classes start tomorrow in Worth County.On Monday afternoon, all the schools held open houses for parents and students.At Worth County elementary, families got to met the teachers and get acquainted with the school.The Principal says the staff is ready, and parents told us they appreciated the open house."We are just going to keep going strong with things that we have done in the past, we had a very successful school year last y...More >>
    It's already back to school time for some south Georgia students. Classes start tomorrow in Worth County.On Monday afternoon, all the schools held open houses for parents and students.At Worth County elementary, families got to met the teachers and get acquainted with the school.The Principal says the staff is ready, and parents told us they appreciated the open house."We are just going to keep going strong with things that we have done in the past, we had a very successful school year last y...More >>
  • Lee Co. Woman speaks out about scary home invasion

    Lee Co. Woman speaks out about scary home invasion

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:20 PM EDT2014-07-29 03:20:11 GMT
    A Lee County woman says she'll think twice before opening her front door after a frightening home invasion.Tonya Stewart says Friday night a group of young people rushed inside her home and beat her up.Her husband ran to help. In the meantime, her 2-year-old niece suffered a busted lip.Stewart ended up with bruises and a black eye.“I just felt like my house was in danger and my life was in danger. I felt like I was gonna be killed or someone in my house was gonna be killed. I had a little gir...More >>
    A Lee County woman says she'll think twice before opening her front door after a frightening home invasion.Tonya Stewart says Friday night a group of young people rushed inside her home and beat her up.Her husband ran to help. In the meantime, her 2-year-old niece suffered a busted lip.Stewart ended up with bruises and a black eye.“I just felt like my house was in danger and my life was in danger. I felt like I was gonna be killed or someone in my house was gonna be killed. I had a little gir...More >>
  • Football coaches stress hydration as South Georgia heats up

    Football coaches stress hydration as South Georgia heats up

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:12 PM EDT2014-07-29 03:12:23 GMT
    Football is an intense, and grueling collision sport, and when South Georgia heats up, practice is even more stressful on the body."We don't wanna lose a kid because of the fact they are not hydrating themselves," says Monroe Head Coach Charles Truitt.That's why coaches stress the importance of staying hydrated on and off the field."We preach when they get home at night after football practice, to hydrate themselves and then we they get up in the morning hydrate themselves," says Truitt.After...More >>
    Football is an intense, and grueling collision sport, and when South Georgia heats up, practice is even more stressful on the body."We don't wanna lose a kid because of the fact they are not hydrating themselves," says Monroe Head Coach Charles Truitt.That's why coaches stress the importance of staying hydrated on and off the field."We preach when they get home at night after football practice, to hydrate themselves and then we they get up in the morning hydrate themselves," says Truitt.After...More >>
AMERICUS, GA (WALB) -

A family of five in Americus is displaced after a kitchen fire severely damaged their home. Fire officials say 18,000 Americans are injured and 3500 die each year in kitchen fires alone.

The Hogg family is packing up the remainder of their belongings after a kitchen fire damaged their home at the Southland Heights Apartment complex around midnight.

David Hogg says he was sleep when his daughter's boyfriend was in the kitchen cooking shrimp.  "He walked off and forgot about it, the grease got into the burner and then it blazed up and caught the cabinets on fire, and we didn't have time to get it out."

Family members ranging in age from 18 months to 57 years old made it out. The fire caused damage to the doors of nearby units, but did not damage anything inside. Smoke did spread into other units forcing firefighters to break windows.

Gary Woods of the Americus Housing Authority said, "We have to make repairs to the other apartments that are here, there's a lot of debris in the hallways, and we don't want the tenants to track it into their apartments."

 Woods says the fire caused forty thousand dollars worth of damage. "We lost pretty much everything in our kitchen, and some stuff in our living room," Hogg said.

The Fire also damaged shingles and the outside of the home. Firefighters urge you to be cautious every time you cook.

"You don't leave things in the oven unattended or on top of the stove unattended and that's one of the biggest things that we have to worry about is leaving food being cooked unattended," said Capt. Kenneth Burns of the Americus Fire Department.

Hogg says he's just thankful no one was hurt. "I'm very thankful, we had that little bitty baby in there and I'm very thankful." The Red Cross put the Hogg family up in a hotel for two nights. They are now looking for another place to live.

A glass company is working to replace the broken windows. Americus Housing officials say it will take several months to repair the burned unit.

If you'd like to help the family, call 229-815-3049, or the Red Cross at 229-924-2026. www.redcross.org.

For Fire-Safe Cooking tips click here.

 

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.