Firefighters say homeowners should clean heater before using - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Effingham Fire Dept. urges heater maintenance as temps lower

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:54:50 GMT
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
  • Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:59:05 GMT
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South GeorgiaMore >>
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South Georgia Technical College.More >>
  • Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:11 GMT
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. He says he's had the siding redone several times.More >>
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. More >>
EFFINGHAM CO., GA (WTOC) -

It is getting cold in the Coastal Empire and that means many people will begin firing up their heating units. The Effingham County Fire Dept. says that may be a dangerous move.

It will be near freezing temperatures the next few days and people are firing up their heaters to stay warm. The Effingham Fire Rescue team says it is important to be careful.

"The best advice is to have that unit cleaned and inspected before you fire that thing off," says Lieutenant Bryce Nyberg, with Effingham County Fire Rescue.

On Tuesday morning, firefighters in Bloomingdale responded to a home filled with smoke because a heater malfunctioned.

No one was hurt and there was no real damage done to the home. Crews spent about an hour venting the home.

This is just one of several heater fires this month.

If something does go wrong fire officials say to leave the house and call 911.

Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow