The arrival of fall and winter weather is a signal to homeowners that unprotected driveways, patios, sidewalks, pool decks, paths and other exterior concrete surfaces around the house are in danger of flaking, spalling, staining or cracking.
Concrete is like a rigid sponge that can become saturated from rain and melted snow and ice if not properly sealed and waterproofed. When that happens and temperatures drop below 32 degrees Fahrenheit, the water saturating the concrete freezes and thaws to the point that it can damage the surface. Concrete surfaces left unprotected can also become discolored or blemished by salt, leaves, dirt and other materials that can accumulate during the fall and winter months.
Fortunately, homeowners can easily avoid these structural and aesthetic problems caused by inclement fall and winter weather and the subsequent repairs by protecting the concrete surfaces around their homes with a QUIKRETE Concrete & Masonry High Gloss Sealer. In addition to repelling oil, grease, acids, household chemicals, food stains and ultra violet rays, this type of water-based, acrylic clear sealer can enhance the color and decorative impact of concrete masonry, pavers, bricks and stone surfaces.
Steps for selling concrete surfaces:
(Note - when working with concrete sealers, always wear eye protection and gloves.)
* For existing concrete surfaces, repair any unsound concrete areas, clean thoroughly and allow to dry for 24 hours. For tough oil, grease and other unwanted to stains, use a solvent-free, low odor and low VOC cleaner, etcher and degreaser.
* For previously sealed surfaces, clean the concrete thoroughly.
* For new concrete surfaces, allow the concrete to cure at least 30 days before applying the sealer.
* Apply the ready-to-use sealer with a roller, brush or garden sprayer; Depending on the porosity of the concrete, one gallon of sealer uniformly applied should cover 200 to 400 square feet.
* A second coat of sealer can be applied in two hours; the second coat should be applied perpendicular to the first coat for best results.
Homeowners seeking a more natural-looking protected concrete surface should consider applying QUIKRETE Concrete & Masonry Waterproofing Sealer following the same step-by-step directions.