Albany Firefighters concerned by number of kitchen fires - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Albany Firefighters concerned by number of kitchen fires

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Brooks County body identified

    Brooks County body identified

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 5:42 PM EDT2014-07-23 21:42:48 GMT
     On Wednesday, July 23, 2014, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation in Thomasville identified the body found on West Hill Street in Quitman on Tuesday as Curtis Lee Baynard, 29, of 905 West Hill Street, Quitman, GA.
    More >>
     On Wednesday, July 23, 2014, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation in Thomasville identified the body found on West Hill Street in Quitman on Tuesday as Curtis Lee Baynard, 29, of 905 West Hill Street, Quitman, GA.

    More >>
  • Thief breaks into locked car

    Thief breaks into locked car

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 5:41 PM EDT2014-07-23 21:41:13 GMT
    Car break-ins continue to be a major problem all across south Georgia. One victim in Americus is worried about how crooks got in his car, even though it was locked.More >>
    Car break-ins continue to be a major problem all across south Georgia. One victim in Americus is worried about how crooks got in his car, even though it was locked.More >>
  • Wiregrass GA Tech helping South GA vets find jobs

    Wiregrass GA Tech helping South GA vets find jobs

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 5:34 PM EDT2014-07-23 21:34:43 GMT
    Some South Georgia Veterans are getting some help when it comes to finding a job. Wiregrass Georgia Tech held its 3rd annual veterans jobs and education fair Wednesday.More >>
    Some South Georgia Veterans are getting some help when it comes to finding a job. Wiregrass Georgia Tech held its 3rd annual veterans jobs and education fair Wednesday.More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

The Albany Fire Department is again urging you to stay alert while cooking.

Kitchen fires continue to be the number one cause of home fires in Albany.

Just after 6 Monday night food left unattended on the stove sparked this fire at Passion Williams' home on 20th Avenue.

The blaze forced the family of three out of their home and caused an estimated 35-thousand dollars in damage.

Firefighters urge you not to get distracted while you cook.

Deputy Chief Ron Rowe said "Stove fires are always an issue with us. Our number one leading cause of structure fires here in Dougherty County and the City of Albany. We try our best to give education out, but it's still happening."

Firefighters say they usually see an increase in kitchen fires during the holidays when people cook more.

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.