Man enters burning apartment to save family - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Man who tried to save family from fire dies from injuries

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Worth Co. hosts open house

    Worth Co. hosts open house

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:24 PM EDT2014-07-29 03:24:37 GMT
    It's already back to school time for some south Georgia students. Classes start tomorrow in Worth County.On Monday afternoon, all the schools held open houses for parents and students.At Worth County elementary, families got to met the teachers and get acquainted with the school.The Principal says the staff is ready, and parents told us they appreciated the open house."We are just going to keep going strong with things that we have done in the past, we had a very successful school year last y...More >>
    It's already back to school time for some south Georgia students. Classes start tomorrow in Worth County.On Monday afternoon, all the schools held open houses for parents and students.At Worth County elementary, families got to met the teachers and get acquainted with the school.The Principal says the staff is ready, and parents told us they appreciated the open house."We are just going to keep going strong with things that we have done in the past, we had a very successful school year last y...More >>
  • Lee Co. Woman speaks out about scary home invasion

    Lee Co. Woman speaks out about scary home invasion

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:20 PM EDT2014-07-29 03:20:11 GMT
    A Lee County woman says she'll think twice before opening her front door after a frightening home invasion.Tonya Stewart says Friday night a group of young people rushed inside her home and beat her up.Her husband ran to help. In the meantime, her 2-year-old niece suffered a busted lip.Stewart ended up with bruises and a black eye.“I just felt like my house was in danger and my life was in danger. I felt like I was gonna be killed or someone in my house was gonna be killed. I had a little gir...More >>
    A Lee County woman says she'll think twice before opening her front door after a frightening home invasion.Tonya Stewart says Friday night a group of young people rushed inside her home and beat her up.Her husband ran to help. In the meantime, her 2-year-old niece suffered a busted lip.Stewart ended up with bruises and a black eye.“I just felt like my house was in danger and my life was in danger. I felt like I was gonna be killed or someone in my house was gonna be killed. I had a little gir...More >>
  • Football coaches stress hydration as South Georgia heats up

    Football coaches stress hydration as South Georgia heats up

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:12 PM EDT2014-07-29 03:12:23 GMT
    Football is an intense, and grueling collision sport, and when South Georgia heats up, practice is even more stressful on the body."We don't wanna lose a kid because of the fact they are not hydrating themselves," says Monroe Head Coach Charles Truitt.That's why coaches stress the importance of staying hydrated on and off the field."We preach when they get home at night after football practice, to hydrate themselves and then we they get up in the morning hydrate themselves," says Truitt.After...More >>
    Football is an intense, and grueling collision sport, and when South Georgia heats up, practice is even more stressful on the body."We don't wanna lose a kid because of the fact they are not hydrating themselves," says Monroe Head Coach Charles Truitt.That's why coaches stress the importance of staying hydrated on and off the field."We preach when they get home at night after football practice, to hydrate themselves and then we they get up in the morning hydrate themselves," says Truitt.After...More >>
VICKSBURG, MS (Mississippi News Now) -

Eddie Rankin the man who went back into a burning apartment in Vicksburg to save his family who had already escaped, has died from his injuries suffered in that fire.  He died Monday morning at 1:17 am at CMMC in Jackson. 

The blaze swept through Rankin's  apartment on Fisher Ferry Road early on October 22. Despite the fire raging in his home, Eddie He ran through the flames blocking his front door fearing his family was inside asleep.

"He rushed in. He jumped about four steps to get in there and she came around the side, and he didn't she got out," said Rankin's neighbor Kiara Wilson.

The 22 year old was seeing her husband off to work when she saw fire coming from Rankin's window across from her apartment. Wilson looked on in horror as the 31 year old ran into his burning Azalea Trace Apartment attempting to save his wife and two children.

Around 4:30 Tuesday morning investigators said Rankin was doing minor repairs to his car before heading to his job when he saw smoke coming from his upstairs apartment. Inside unit B-35 were his 23 year old wife Brittany and children, ages two and five.

When firefighters arrived they eventually found Rankin unconscious in a rear bedroom.

"They went in twice and came back out without him, added Wilson. "They even took off their masks and everything like the job was over and then went back in one last time and they finally got him. And he was still alive after all of that. That was God."

Warren County Sheriff's Deputies were first on the scene.

"They exhausted all the fire extinguishers that they had in their patrol cars and were able to obtain a garden hose from a nearby Knights of Columbus building, but were unable to enter the apartment because of the heat, smoke and flames," said Sheriff Martin Pace.

Investigators said the two year old was injured and is being treated at River Region Medical Center. Officials said the fire started in the living room. It was contained to that one unit and has been ruled accidental.

According to Azalea Trace Apartment residents, this is the second fire since 2011 in building B. Tuesday they said management began distributing fire extinguishers for each apartment.

Copyright 2013 MSNewsNow. All rights reserved.