Grease fires concern AFD Chief - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Grease fires concern AFD Chief

Posted: Updated:
AFD Chief James Carswell AFD Chief James Carswell
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

An Albany man is injured, escaping through a window of a burning home early Tuesday morning. An Albany firefighter suffered heat exhaustion fighting the blaze.

Dangers that  Albany Fire Department officials say they face nearly every day because of the high number of kitchen fires they are seeing.

Firefighters say a grease fire caused by unattended food left cooking on the stove started the fire in the one thousand block of East Roosevelt Avenue about 2:40 Tuesday morning. Firefighters say heavy flames were pouring out the front of the house when they arrived.

Mose Harvey suffered lacerations on his leg when he pulled out of the bedroom window to escape the fire.  Harvey was treated and released from the hospital for his cuts.

Firefighter Josh Olson was treated for heat exhaustion fighting the fire, but is OK.  The four people living in the house are now displaced because of the fire. 

Fire officials say they are concerned by the number of kitchen fires they are seeing.

"It's one of those most preventable fires.  Kitchen fires 99% of the time could be prevented with just proper care of attention to what you are doing in the kitchen,"  said AFD Chief James Carswell.

Chief Carswell urges people to use more caution while cooking, to protect your life and property from fires. Firefighters will teach children about preventing kitchen fires tomorrow in their 19th annual Kids Fire Safety Program Wednesday morning at the Albany Civic Center, it's part of fire prevention week.

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.