Fire destroys Sylvestor home - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire destroys Sylvestor home

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Major road project takes a step forward

    Major road project takes a step forward

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 12:02 AM EDT2014-04-23 04:02:45 GMT
    Lee County Commissioners are close to approving a route for a major road project that will connect the east and west parts of the county. Tuesday night, they heard from Georgia Tech engineers who studiedMore >>
    Lee County residents will soon have the chance to give their opinions on a major road project.More >>
  • City leaders approve new rules for model airplanes

    City leaders approve new rules for model airplanes

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 11:59 PM EDT2014-04-23 03:59:14 GMT
    Albany city commissioners approve new rules for model airplanes.      Following complaints from some people who live near Hilsman Park a citizen's advisory committee spent months studying the issue andMore >>
    Albany city commissioners approve new rules for model airplanes.      Following complaints from some people who live near Hilsman Park a citizen's advisory committee spent months studying the issue andMore >>
  • Voters hear from candidates at forum

    Voters hear from candidates at forum

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 11:56 PM EDT2014-04-23 03:56:54 GMT
    Voters heard from more than a dozen political candidates at a forum Tuesday night hosted by the Albany Civil Rights Institute. People running in Dougherty County Commission, Dougherty County School BoardMore >>
    Days before early voting opens, candidates for several races in Dougherty County get together to try earn voters' support.More >>
WORTH CO., GA (WALB) -

An afternoon fire destroyed this wooden home outside of sylvester. Fire officials say it started in the back of the home after the  family installed a new washer and dryer.

"We got there and there was flames showing outside the back of the house.  We did make an interior attack and stop the forward progression of the fire, it did sustain a lot of damage, it was an old structure built in the 1900s," says Captain John Graddy, with the Sylvestor Fire Department.

A family of three lived in the house.  They're now staying at a hotel until they can find a new home. The house has been deemed a  total loss.  The wiring was old and couldn't handle the output of the family's new washer and dryer.

Officials say you should have your wiring inspected, especially if you live in an older home. 

"I would just advise that if you go in with a new high efficiency washer, refrigerators, dryers, heaters, anything , make sure you get you get your wiring inspected by someone who is licensed, make sure that your wiring, and your plugs is up to date, and your fuse panel can handle the amount amps that it pulls,"says Graddy.

Also, now that the fall is here, check your smoke alarms, and make sure you clean out fire places, and any other heat source you plan to use this season.

"So I wuld advise everyone to check their smoke alarms and make sure they are up to date, changed out, and ready for the cool weather,  and if you do plan on using a wood burning fire place or stove, make sure that its well vented and cleaned out and can handle the ejection of the smoke so the heat won't build up," he says.

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.  

 

Powered by WorldNow