Fire destroys Sylvestor home - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire destroys Sylvestor home

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Salmonella outbreak trial coverage from Albany, GA

    Salmonella outbreak trial coverage from Albany, GA

    Thursday, July 31 2014 12:00 PM EDT2014-07-31 16:00:31 GMT
    The federal courthouse in Albany, GAThe federal courthouse in Albany, GA
    The trial of three people charged in a deadly salmonella outbreak linked to a peanut plant in Georgia began Thursday.More >>
    The trial of three people charged in a deadly salmonella outbreak linked to a peanut plant in Georgia began Thursday.More >>
  • Breaking

    Jury struck in salmonella outbreak trial

    Jury struck in salmonella outbreak trial

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:50 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:50:27 GMT
    Sign at the Peanut Corporation of AmericaSign at the Peanut Corporation of America
    A jury is expected to be struck Thursday morning in the trial of three people charged in a deadly salmonella outbreak linked to a peanut plant in Georgia.More >>
    A jury is expected to be struck Thursday morning in the trial of three people charged in a deadly salmonella outbreak linked to a peanut plant in Georgia.More >>
  • Campaign to help adults go back to college

    Campaign to help adults go back to college

    Thursday, July 31 2014 8:55 AM EDT2014-07-31 12:55:40 GMT
    Georgia officials are teaming up with the state's universities and technical colleges to get adults back in School. The campaign will help returning students with scheduling and course selection.More >>
    Georgia officials are teaming up with the state's universities and technical colleges to get adults back in School. The campaign will help returning students with scheduling and course selection.More >>
WORTH CO., GA (WALB) -

An afternoon fire destroyed this wooden home outside of sylvester. Fire officials say it started in the back of the home after the  family installed a new washer and dryer.

"We got there and there was flames showing outside the back of the house.  We did make an interior attack and stop the forward progression of the fire, it did sustain a lot of damage, it was an old structure built in the 1900s," says Captain John Graddy, with the Sylvestor Fire Department.

A family of three lived in the house.  They're now staying at a hotel until they can find a new home. The house has been deemed a  total loss.  The wiring was old and couldn't handle the output of the family's new washer and dryer.

Officials say you should have your wiring inspected, especially if you live in an older home. 

"I would just advise that if you go in with a new high efficiency washer, refrigerators, dryers, heaters, anything , make sure you get you get your wiring inspected by someone who is licensed, make sure that your wiring, and your plugs is up to date, and your fuse panel can handle the amount amps that it pulls,"says Graddy.

Also, now that the fall is here, check your smoke alarms, and make sure you clean out fire places, and any other heat source you plan to use this season.

"So I wuld advise everyone to check their smoke alarms and make sure they are up to date, changed out, and ready for the cool weather,  and if you do plan on using a wood burning fire place or stove, make sure that its well vented and cleaned out and can handle the ejection of the smoke so the heat won't build up," he says.

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.