Firefighters blame north Albany fire on unattended stove - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Firefighters blame north Albany fire on unattended stove

ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Firefighters warn residents to be careful when they're cooking inside their kitchen.

They say unattended food on the stove started a fire at this home in the 500 block of South Harding Street this morning.

The resident was able to put out some of the fire. Firefighters used fans, and opened windows to help ventilate the house.

"Make sure if you leave your kitchen to turn your stove off or don't start cooking until you know you can stay in and watch your food," said Battalion Chief Arthur Dyer.

He says the stove, part of the kitchen ceiling, and a cabinet were damaged.

No one was injured.

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • The Latest: Irma weakens into a tropical depression

    The Latest: Irma weakens into a tropical depression

    Monday, September 11 2017 3:27 AM EDT2017-09-11 07:27:29 GMT
    Tuesday, September 12 2017 2:42 AM EDT2017-09-12 06:42:09 GMT
    Irma weakened to a Category 1 storm as the massive hurricane zeroed in on the Tampa Bay region early Monday after hammering much of Florida with roof-ripping winds, gushing floodwaters and widespread power outages.More >>
    Irma weakened to a Category 1 storm as the massive hurricane zeroed in on the Tampa Bay region early Monday after hammering much of Florida with roof-ripping winds, gushing floodwaters and widespread power outages.More >>
  • UPDATE: Two dead in early morning Lee fire

    UPDATE: Two dead in early morning Lee fire

    Friday, September 22 2017 11:27 AM EDT2017-09-22 15:27:51 GMT
    One person was in the yard, and two were inside (Source: WALB)One person was in the yard, and two were inside (Source: WALB)

    Lee County Fire Chief David Forrester said there were two people in the home, and they saw one person in the front yard.  Two people in the home were transported to Phoebe Putney.

    More >>

    Lee County Fire Chief David Forrester said there were two people in the home, and they saw one person in the front yard.  Two people in the home were transported to Phoebe Putney.

    More >>
  • President Carter to be honored at GSW Presidential Plaza dedication

    President Carter to be honored at GSW Presidential Plaza dedication

    Friday, September 22 2017 11:26 AM EDT2017-09-22 15:26:12 GMT

    Dedication of Georgia Southwestern State University's "Presidential Plaza"  is scheduled for 11:00 a.m. at the Wheatley Administration Building Lawn, on the Georgia Southwestern State campus in Americus. This new area on campus serves as the centerpiece to the University's signature entrance.  The west or front side of the plaza features a set of planted hedges that spell "GSW." The east or plaza side includes a mounted hand signature in cement from Pre...

    More >>

    Dedication of Georgia Southwestern State University's "Presidential Plaza"  is scheduled for 11:00 a.m. at the Wheatley Administration Building Lawn, on the Georgia Southwestern State campus in Americus. This new area on campus serves as the centerpiece to the University's signature entrance.  The west or front side of the plaza features a set of planted hedges that spell "GSW." The east or plaza side includes a mounted hand signature in cement from Pre...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly