Fire rips through Tifton home, spares residents - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire rips through Tifton home, spares residents

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Register to vote through new phone app

    Register to vote through new phone app

    Sunday, April 20 2014 5:37 PM EDT2014-04-20 21:37:30 GMT
    The May primaries are just around the corner and tomorrow is the last day you can register to vote. If you don't have time to go to the government center downtown, anyone with a valid driver's licenseMore >>
    The May primaries are just around the corner and tomorrow is the last day you can register to vote.More >>
  • ATC celebrates Arbor Day Monday

    ATC Celebrates Arbor Day Monday

    Sunday, April 20 2014 4:00 PM EDT2014-04-20 20:00:13 GMT
    Albany Technical College, a Tree Campus USA, will celebrate Arbor Day on Monday, on the grounds north of the Nathaniel Cross Health Care Technology Building, by planting a tree. George Paul, EnvironmentalMore >>
    Albany Technical College, a Tree Campus USA, will celebrate Arbor Day on Monday, on the grounds north of the Nathaniel Cross Health Care Technology Building, by planting a tree.More >>
  • Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:54:50 GMT
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>

A Tifton man is without a home tonight after a fire destroyed his home.

Sharon Cannon says she's thankful that her son wasn't at home when the fire started.  She and other family members are currently cleaning up the home, and she says that the material items that her son lost can always be replaced.

Bystanders in a neighborhood on Elm street in Tifton called 911 Thursday afternoon after they saw an air conditioning unit in the living room catch on fire. 30 year old Mealo Alford was at work when he received a call from family and friends that his home was on fire. His mother also received a call and quickly headed over.

Alford's mother Sharon Cannon says several emotions rushed through her when she received the call.

" I almost panicked, well I can't say almost, I did panic," recalls Cannon. "I was like Oh my God."

The Tift County Fire Department arrived with five fire trucks before 2 p.m. to put out the flames. Fire officials say there was fire damage to 40 percent of the home. Cannon says everything in sight was lost.

"Everything in the living room, the majority of all of his clothes. We can salvage stuff out of the wash room, the kitchen and one of the bedrooms," said Cannon.

Fire damaged her vehicle near the home as well. Family members came over to help clean up and gather more belongings. Cannon says she is just glad her son wasn't at home.

"I just thank God that he was at work," said Cannon. "He is with us, that's the most important thing. The material stuff we can get back, but we can't get him back."

Georgia Power was called to disconnect the wiring to the house. Fire officials do not suspect foul play and said they aren't completely sure if the fire is electrical. The Red Cross and Salvation Army are helping Mealo Alford find a place to live.

Fire officials did say that they did not see smoke detectors in the home. They say smoke detectors are needed and that it's important that you make sure they work correctly in your home.

If you would like to donate items to Mealo Alford, you can contact his mother at 229-326-5402.

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow