17 people make it out of house fire safely - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

17 people make it out of house fire safely

Posted: Updated:
Fire broke out early this morning on Pine Avenue Fire broke out early this morning on Pine Avenue
Sequoyah Reid is thankful that all 17 people made it out safely Sequoyah Reid is thankful that all 17 people made it out safely
Investigator Sam Harris wants the community to be aware of fire hazards in their home Investigator Sam Harris wants the community to be aware of fire hazards in their home
The Reid family lost everything in their home The Reid family lost everything in their home
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

The Reid family says their thankful all 17 people in the home made it out safely after their boarding house burned this morning. A fire broke out before 5 a.m. at a boarding house at 621 Pine Avenue. 17 people ranging from 2 to 68 years old were inside when the fire broke out.

"I just thank God that everybody made out alive, we know that's a blessing," said family member Sequoyah Reid.

Sequoyah Reid was at her home when she received a call that her mother's house caught on fire.

"My main thought was did everyone make it out, did everyone make it out," said Reid.

"The fire originated in the front bedroom from an electrical short and it happened at a lamp that was here," said Investigator Sam Harris of the Albany Fire Department.

Sequoyah Reid says her family lost everything.

"The beds, the TV, furniture and all that," said Reid.

"Cords such as this lamp cord and they splice them together where there's breaks in them what they do is they generate heat and they need to be cognizant of that to protect themselves," said Harris.

Fire officials say the size of a light bulb can also generate an electrical shortage.

"When they put in light bulbs that are too big for the wattage, the wattage is too large for the light fixture it causes heat to generate and thus you have shorts also," said Harris.

Investigator Harris uses smart phone technology to send live images of the damage and fire source back to the fire chief. He also found another fire hazard in the home.

"What concerns us is as a reminder to the community that this doesn't happen in the future, so that when they see this story perhaps they will look around their house for combustibles being too close to ignition sources," said Harris.

 "We just remaining faithful and just giving God the praise that everybody made it out because just the mere indication that it could've been worse," said Reid.

The Red Cross is putting the Reid family in a hotel for the weekend. The Albany Fire Department urges you not to splice extension cords together and to be careful not to place combustible items next to heat sources.

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.  

Powered by WorldNow