Mt. Vernon Baptist Church accepts city's $14.5 million offer - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Mt. Vernon Baptist Church accepts city's $14.5 million offer

CBS Atlanta Mount Vernon Baptist Church members have voted to sell the church to the city for $14.5 million.

Members of the congregation said vote was 116 to 16 to sell the church to the city. Officials said this vote will help pave the way for the new Atlanta Falcon's stadium to be built in downtown Atlanta.

Rev. Rodney Turner said it is a sensitive time for the congregation. He said it was not about money but prayer and helping the community. Turner said the church has many outreach programs that will benefit.

The congregation does not know where they will build the new church, but Turner said they will stay in the Vine City-English Avenue area.

Some of the 16 people who voted against it said the city was destroying history.

"I think it is appalling for the city to consider desecrating the sacred ground of two historic black churches to consider building a stadium for a second rate football team," said Vickie Johnson, parishioner. Johnson said her family has been with the church since its beginning 98 years ago.

Those who acknowledged voting for the sale said it was about moving forward.

"The church is within us not a building," said Damon Britton, parishioner.

The Georgia World Congress Center Authority initially offered the church $6.2 million and negotiations stalled. Political leader Andrew Young and Mayor Kasim Reed stepped in, and the Atlanta Falcons organization agreed to pay additional money to get the deal done.

The church's leaders had publicly supported the deal, but the congregation's approval was needed to allow the sale to happen.

The next step is a vote by Friendship Baptist Church. Members are scheduled to vote Sunday on a $19.5 million offer to buy their church.

Copyright 2013 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:37 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:37:43 GMT
    The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>
  • Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:26 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:26:50 GMT
    Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>
  • Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Monday, July 24 2017 3:48 PM EDT2017-07-24 19:48:41 GMT
    Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly