Georgia Southern holds fire demo to help educate students - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire demonstration held at Georgia Southern

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Men burglarize defunct Holley School

    Men burglarize defunct Holley School

    Monday, April 21 2014 10:36 AM EDT2014-04-21 14:36:24 GMT
    Sylvester Police arrested two men for stealing items from a Sylvester school that closed several years ago. Lt. Ronnie Graddy of the Sylvester Police Department says that late Friday afternoon, Lt. TracyMore >>
    Lt. Ronnie Graddy of the Sylvester Police Department says that late Friday afternoon, Lt. Tracy Jones noticed a red pick-up truck backed up to the old Holley Elementary School building, on Carter Road in Sylvester.More >>
  • Americus runner back in Boston

    Americus runner back in Boston

    Monday, April 21 2014 7:06 AM EDT2014-04-21 11:06:25 GMT
    One of the thousands of runners participating in the marathon today comes from Southwest Georgia, Charlene Pennymon. She's returning to Boston to win another title but also give hope to others. @ ThisMore >>
    One of the thousands of runners participating in the marathon today comes from Southwest Georgia, Charlene Pennymon. She's returning to Boston to beat her current record but also give hope to others. More >>
  • Thomasville woman celebrates 100th Birthday

    Thomasville woman celebrates 100th Birthday

    Sunday, April 20 2014 5:57 PM EDT2014-04-20 21:57:34 GMT
    A Thomasville woman is celebrating her 100th birthday. Irene Manning celebrates her 100th Birthday today. Friends and family threw her a birthday party at Cherokee Lake in Thomasville. Her grandson saysMore >>
    A Thomasville woman is celebrating her 100th birthday. Irene Manning celebrates her 100th Birthday today. Friends and family threw her a birthday party at Cherokee Lake in Thomasville. Her grandson saysMore >>
STATESBORO, GA (WTOC) -

It's easy for college students to think nothing can happen to them or their new home, but Georgia Southern showed them just how quickly a small fire can spread and how sprinklers can at least slow it down.

Campus housing leaders say some things are banned from dorm rooms for a good reason.

"It's essential for these students to learn fire safety on campus. We've had fires on campus over the past couple of years caused by nothing more than one candle they left burning in a room and that's caused damage upwards of $65,000," said Eric Peterson, Georgia Southern Housing.

 The Statesboro Fire Department helped with Wednesday's demonstration.

 Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.

 

 

Powered by WorldNow