Firefighters put out duplex fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Firefighters put out duplex fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Stores gear up for Tax Free Weekend

    Stores gear up for Tax Free Weekend

    Friday, August 1 2014 5:18 AM EDT2014-08-01 09:18:42 GMT
    Retail stores in South Georgia are gearing up for the tax free holiday weekend.More >>
    Retail stores in South Georgia are gearing up for the tax free holiday weekend.More >>
  • Shoppers fire up for tax free holiday

    Shoppers fire up for tax free holiday

    Friday, August 1 2014 4:12 AM EDT2014-08-01 08:12:21 GMT
    Calculators, spirals, backpacks...just a few essentials for back-to-school shopping and with a bonus of a tax free holiday, shoppers will be scrambling to snag the best deals. More >>
    Calculators, spirals, backpacks...just a few essentials for back-to-school shopping and with a bonus of a tax free holiday, shoppers will be scrambling to snag the best deals. More >>
  • Phoebe foundation receives donation for medical student housing

    Phoebe foundation receives donation for medical student housing

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:25 PM EDT2014-08-01 03:25:30 GMT
    Lauren Ray, Phoebe Foundation Executive DirectorLauren Ray, Phoebe Foundation Executive Director
    A generous donation will help build a $5 million medical student housing facility on Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital's campus.The Richard King Mellon Foundation donated $1 million to the Phoebe Foundation for the proposed 25-unit gated community. More >>
    A generous donation will help build a $5 million medical student housing facility on Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital's campus.The Richard King Mellon Foundation donated $1 million to the Phoebe Foundation for the proposed 25-unit gated community. More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Albany firefighters extinguished an apartment fire in the 600 block of Willard Avenue in south Albany, off Madison Street.

AFD says that Kyla Jones, 20, was frying potatoes and chicken on the stove, and stepped away. While the stove was unattended, the grease caught fire, and spread in the kitchen.

23 year old Tiffany Jones was also inside the duplex, as was Kyla Jones' nine-month old baby. No one was hurt, but they can't stay there with the smoke damage.

Jonta Whitfield, 31, and his two children live in the B side of the duplex, and their apartment suffered smoke damage. They are displaced for now, and will stay with family.

"We were about to cook some chicken legs and the pot caught on fire," Jones said.  How did it catch on fire?  "I don't know.  I think the stove did it," said Kyla Jones.

 "Side A sustained heavy smoke and fire damage.  Side B just had smoke damage.  Both families have been displaced," said Battalion Chief Matthew Jefferson.

There were eight people in all living in the duplex where the fire started. Jones said she and daughter will move in with family, but the Red Cross has been called in to help those affected by the fire.

 Damage was estimated at $20,000.

 

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.