AFD battles house fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

AFD battles house fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Kendrick Johnson family in Albany

    Kendrick Johnson family in Albany

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 4:33 AM EDT2014-04-23 08:33:54 GMT
    Wednesday morning the family of Kendrick Johnson will make an appearance at ASU to speak to students about their case, its all part of the university's criminal justice week. Those organizing the presentationMore >>
    Wednesday morning the family of Kendrick Johnson will make an appearance at ASU to speak to students about their case, its all part of the university's criminal justice week.More >>
  • Major road project takes a step forward

    Major road project takes a step forward

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 12:02 AM EDT2014-04-23 04:02:45 GMT
    Lee County Commissioners are close to approving a route for a major road project that will connect the east and west parts of the county. Tuesday night, they heard from Georgia Tech engineers who studiedMore >>
    Lee County residents will soon have the chance to give their opinions on a major road project.More >>
  • City leaders approve new rules for model airplanes

    City leaders approve new rules for model airplanes

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 11:59 PM EDT2014-04-23 03:59:14 GMT
    Albany city commissioners approve new rules for model airplanes.      Following complaints from some people who live near Hilsman Park a citizen's advisory committee spent months studying the issue andMore >>
    Albany city commissioners approve new rules for model airplanes.      Following complaints from some people who live near Hilsman Park a citizen's advisory committee spent months studying the issue andMore >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Officers of the Albany Fire Department put out a house fire at 1309 West 4th Avenue, on Albany's west side.

Albany Fire crews responded around 8:40 this morning after the resident made the call.

The blaze was ignited by a candle left burning near the bed. Fire officials say there is about 8,000 dollars worth of damage.

When the resident came home, she saw smoke coming from her apartment. She quickly grabbed a garden house and sprayed through a window.

Fire officials say her quick reaction likely contained the blaze enough before it caused any serious damage.

"The candle somehow got turned over and caught some bedding and things on fire," said Captain John Beamon, Albany Fire Department. "She returned and used a garden hose to do an actually pretty effective job of extinguishing some of the fire and called the fire department."

 The apartment is still in livable condition.

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow