Couple donates car to Humane Society - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Couple donates car to Humane Society

Posted: Updated:
From left, Executive Director Ed Williams, Margaret Larosa, Dennis Larosa. From left, Executive Director Ed Williams, Margaret Larosa, Dennis Larosa.
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Thomasville woman celebrates 100th Birthday

    Thomasville woman celebrates 100th Birthday

    Sunday, April 20 2014 5:57 PM EDT2014-04-20 21:57:34 GMT
    A Thomasville woman is celebrating her 100th birthday. Irene Manning celebrates her 100th Birthday today. Friends and family threw her a birthday party at Cherokee Lake in Thomasville. Her grandson saysMore >>
    A Thomasville woman is celebrating her 100th birthday. Irene Manning celebrates her 100th Birthday today. Friends and family threw her a birthday party at Cherokee Lake in Thomasville. Her grandson saysMore >>
  • Easter Bunny visits hospitalized children

    Easter Bunny visits hospitalized children

    Sunday, April 20 2014 5:52 PM EDT2014-04-20 21:52:00 GMT
    The Easter Bunny made an appearance at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital today.   The Dougherty County Police Department partnered with the Easter Bunny Foundation to deliver stuffed Easter Bunnies to childrenMore >>
    The Easter Bunny made an appearance at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital today.   The Dougherty County Police Department partnered with the Easter Bunny Foundation to deliver stuffed Easter Bunnies to childrenMore >>
  • Storm clean up is underway at wildlife rehabilitation center

    Storm clean up is underway at wildlife rehabilitation center

    Sunday, April 20 2014 5:46 PM EDT2014-04-20 21:46:45 GMT
    Storm Clean up is underway at a wildlife rehabilitation center in Thomasville.   Sierra Dorpinghouse is all geared up and ready to help with clean up after Friday's storm damaged several animal cagesMore >>
    Storm Clean up is underway at a wildlife rehabilitation center in Thomasville.   Sierra Dorpinghouse is all geared up and ready to help with clean up after Friday's storm damaged several animal cagesMore >>
THOMASVILLE, GA (WALB) -

For pups like Bandit, Star, and Fox, finding a forever home is all that matters.

But until that day happens, they will need to be fed, vaccinated, and sheltered.

"Takes a lot of money to house and feed and medicate, treat any injured animals that come in. So lots of money to run the Humane Society and we really really appreciate their donation," said Shelter Director Ed Williams.

Last week, Dennis and Margaret Larosa donated a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta to the Thomasville Shelter.

"Completely unexpected. In fact I asked the Larosas what inspired the donation and they simply said they were dog lovers," said Williams.

Williams says a bulk of their funds come from an animal control agreement with the county, but he says an even larger amount needs to come from generous donations like this.

"That only accounts for about 40 percent of our annual expenses so the other 60 percent, which is a little over $600,000 a year, has to be raised from individuals and grants and donations."

And Williams says donating the car or scraping it were not the Larosa's only options.

"Could have traded it in on a new one or sold it or anything like that. And it's a very sizeable donation because the car is in good shape and I think the car has average or fairly low mileage for its age."

Williams says he will have the car checked out by specialists this week to determine exactly how much it is worth.

Several shelter pets like Bandit are still available for half of the normal adoption fee.

To see these "Director's Picks" go to www.thomasvillehumane.org, the shelter's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/#!/thomasvillehumane, or you can visit the shelter in person at 180 Big Star Drive.

 

WALB. All rights reserved.

 

Copyright 2013

Powered by WorldNow