With information from South Georgia Medical Center-
South Georgia Medical Center's Engineering Department has unveiled a new $10 million emergency power plant.
Valdosta Electric and the SGMC Engineering Department worked together on the project, and they had only 12 minutes of 'downtime' in 530 hours of switch-over time, during which the backup power supply had to be moved from the original power plant to the new one.
The power plant was designed and built to provide emergency power for the SGMC Main Campus including the new Dasher Memorial Heart Center and Patient Tower. The power plant houses 42 miles of cables and conduit. When the big diesel generators are fired up the system uses 180 gallons of diesel fuel per hour to operate key systems within the hospital.
The original power plant was opened in the 1950's with upgrades to equipment in the 1980's. The new power plant is one of the most sophisticated of its kind.
Copyright 2013 WALB. All rights reserved.