Carport damaged by early morning fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

UPDATE: Morning fire blamed on spontaneous combustion

Posted: Updated:
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

An Albany man is happy that Albany Fire Crews put out a blaze that destroyed his car port early this morning.

Now AFD investigators blame the fire on what they called "Spontaneous combustion of hay that was tightly packed in a truck."

AFD says that wet hay generates heat as it dries, and under he right conditions, can just catch fire by itself, and that's what happened in this case.

Crews extinguished the fire before it spread to other sheds or to his home on South County Line Road about 4:00AM.

The owner says he lost a couple of ATV's, a lot of animal feed and an old truck. but he's just thankful the fire department showed up so quickly.

"It could have been much worse," said Thomas D Fudge, Albany resident."The fire department got here before it really got the chance to spread to the inside of that shed and got here before the fire got a chance to get to the house. So, that's all good."

There were no injuries reported.

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.  

Powered by WorldNow