Lightning blamed for Johns Creek house fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Lightning blamed for Johns Creek house fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:54:50 GMT
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
  • Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:59:05 GMT
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South GeorgiaMore >>
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South Georgia Technical College.More >>
  • Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:11 GMT
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. He says he's had the siding redone several times.More >>
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. More >>
JOHNS CREEK, GA (CBS46) -

Firefighters said lightning sparked a house fire on Donnington Drive in Johns Creek.

Sachim Sangole lives next door to the house in The Estates at Wellington subdivision. He said he saw a big light come down from the sky and when he looked out the window again, his neighbor's roof was on fire. Sangole said he called 911.

Two young men were inside the home, where they live with three other friends. The pair said they heard a noise, and when the fire alarms went off, they called 911 and ran outside.

Johns Creek firefighters said they arrived within minutes of receiving the 911 call. 

Firefighters said the fire moved quickly, and were forced to retreat from inside the home within 10 minutes. The house is a total loss.

The roof of the home caved in just before 6 p.m.

Firefighters said they were able to put out most of the fire within 20 minutes and contain it from spreading to other houses.

No injuries were reported.

Copyright 2013 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow