Fundraisers set for Albany boy with brain disorder - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Fundraisers set for Albany boy with brain disorder

ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

The family of an Albany boy fighting a rare brain disorder is holding several fundraiser's to help pay his medical bills and they're asking for your help.

6 year-old Thomas Cooper suffers from Arnold-Chiari malformation, also called ACM. His brain sticks out beneath his skull and puts pressure on his spine.  Thomas has severe pain, suffers from migraines and has problems communicating and running.

He underwent a brain decompression surgery last year and family members expect him to have to undergo three more.  Thomas has seen 26 doctors, and the treatment isn't cheap. 

"They're living day to day. We all do whatever we can to help them, but there's only so much we can do. So that's why we're calling for community support," said Melannie Murphy, a family member and organizer.

 Now family members are hosting a yard sale on Friday.

"The importance of the community helping, really is all about spreading the awareness of the condition. Because so few people actually know about it. And really helping Thomas, you're helping others as well," said Murphy.

This disorder affects nearly 300,000 Americans and there's no cure. The yard sale is Friday from 8am until 1pm at 1507 Ken Gardens Road.

On Saturday May 11th they're holding a barbecue, bake sale and car wash at Little Whisky River on Sylvester Road starting at 10am.

They're also holding a benefit poker tournament on Saturday, May 25th at Bayous on Philema Road starting at 1pm.  It's $50.00 to buy in and organizers encourage businesses to get involved by sponsoring a table for $200.00

If you would like to donate to the yard sale or any of the other events call 229-881-2469 or visit the facebook group (Team Thomas- A Chiari battle) and send a message.

 

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.  

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:37 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:37:43 GMT
    The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>
  • Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:26 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:26:50 GMT
    Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>
  • Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Monday, July 24 2017 3:48 PM EDT2017-07-24 19:48:41 GMT
    Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly