DCSS moves ahead with closure agenda - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

DCSS moves ahead with closure agenda

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Kutcher's peanut ponder picture makes London news

    Kutcher's peanut ponder picture makes London news

    Thursday, April 17 2014 11:06 AM EDT2014-04-17 15:06:53 GMT
    Ashton Kutcher, one of the world's top TV stars, stopped to ponder Georgia's official Peanut Statue in Ashburn. His selfie, showing himself and his fiancé, Mila Kunis, appreciating the structure, hasMore >>
    Ashton Kutcher, one of the world's top TV stars, stopped to ponder Georgia's official Peanut Statue in Ashburn. His selfie, showing himself and his fiancé, Mila Kunis, appreciating the structure, has circled the globe.More >>
  • Supreme Court to hear Cuthbert insurance case

    Supreme Court to hear Cuthbert insurance case

    Thursday, April 17 2014 10:15 AM EDT2014-04-17 14:15:49 GMT
    The Georgia Supreme Court announced that it will hear the case of BARZEY V. CITY OF CUTHBERT (S14A0620)  next week. A woman whose adult son was killed while working for the City of Cuthbert is appealingMore >>
    A woman whose adult son was killed while working for the City of Cuthbert is appealing a Randolph County court ruling that she is not entitled to her son's death benefit, even though she is his only legal heir.More >>
  • Today's the day for News on the Road!

    WALB anniversary tour starts Thursday

    Thursday, April 17 2014 9:04 AM EDT2014-04-17 13:04:46 GMT
    WALB News 10 is hitting the road for our 60th anniversary. You might remember this photo from 2004. Yolanda, Dawn, and Ben having fun with the Ladies of the Red Hat Society in Tifton for WALB's 50thMore >>
    WALB News 10 is hitting the road for our 60th anniversary. You might remember this photo from 2004. Yolanda, Dawn, and Ben having fun with the Ladies of the Red Hat Society in Tifton.More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Dougherty County school officials will continue moving forward with their school closure plan after a federal judge rules it does not violate a federal court order that says schools should be 50 percent black and 50 percent white.

For years school officials have been trying to get out from under that 50-year-old federal court order which is impossible to follow. They say they might be one step closer.  Federal Judge Louis Sands ruled that the Dougherty County school system is not violating a court order by closing Dougherty Middle, Sylvester Road Elementary and re-purposing Magnolia Elementary.

"We did have to present to them what indeed we were doing and it seems like the court seems favorable on our proposal with regards to the closing of the two schools and re-purposing Magnolia," said DCSS Interim Superintendent David Mosely.

Board members voted to close the schools last month due to a declining student population and to save money. The school desegregation court order, that says schools should be 50 percent white and 50 percent black has been in place since the 1960s. It forces school officials to get approval from the federal court anytime the demographics of a school changes.

"Change in district, build a new school, or in this case close one, that has to be reported to the court in the event that it might somehow diminish minority opportunity to be educated in the school system. In this case, there is none of course," said DCSS Attorney Tommy Coleman.

The system filed an appeal 12 years ago saying the order is impossible to follow because the system is about 90% African-American.

"We have only one school that fits the 50/50 criteria established by the order in 1980 and that's Lake Park. Other than that, none of our schools really come close because of the changing demographics in the city of Albany and Dougherty County."

Coleman says with the changing laws, that provides more choices for students, gave them the push to address the issue again.  "We asked the judge how to proceed and we intend to notify the lawyers who were involved with this about 10 years ago and see if they have any interest in proceeding. Then we'll see where that goes and go from there."

The school closures will take effect next year. And school officials feel a little closer in removing the order after receiving some direction from the federal court.

Tommy Coleman says the school system plans to contact Mark Pickett and Shaven King to see if their still interested in representing the other two parties involved in the suit.

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow