(BPT) - A fresh coat of paint can give any room an instant lift, making it a great solution for converting a space from drab to fab.
Though neutrals reign as America’s most popular paint choices, the National Home Color Survey from Sherwin-Williams shows people are becoming bolder with color. Three-in-four homeowners indicate they want to incorporate more color into their home, most commonly in their living room, bedroom and kitchen.
“Colorful paint is an easy and inexpensive way to stylishly transform a space,” said David Bromstad, HGTV(R) star and celebrity interior designer. “Set the mood for a room with a splash of color and you’ll spice up your space like a design pro.”
Bromstad offers the following tips for anyone looking to add color to their home:
* Identify a colorful object as the focal point of the room. Select bold items to build your room around, such as a piece of artwork, rug or chair that really makes a statement.
* Use a color palette to guide design choices. HGTV(R) HOME by Sherwin-Williams takes the guesswork out of choosing colors with coordinated collections of color, paint and wallpaper designed to flow beautifully throughout your home. Mix and match the colors to help guide your wall, furniture and accessory color choices.
* Coordinate your color transitions. For high-impact transitions, combine bolder shades with their more neutral counterparts and for a more tranquil transition, stick to softer or lighter shades that are from the same color family.
* Highlight unexpected areas. Turn ordinary areas like ceilings, banisters or door frames into extraordinary spaces. If you want to keep walls neutral, paint a piece of furniture, such as a chair, headboard or the back of a bookshelf.
* Use colorful patterns for the illusion of space. Horizontal stripes can help small rooms feel more spacious, while vertical stripes can add the illusion of height to low ceilings.
“Every colorful room adds personality to a home, from playful to serene to luxurious and beyond,” said Bromstad. “That’s what’s great about paint colors; they allow you to express yourself through your home.”
For more tips and color inspiration, visit sherwin-williams.com/color.